FOUR | escaping wicked

After about fifteen minutes of waiting, my friends and I got impatient. I paced around, arms crossed, wondering what was taking Thomas so long. What on earth was he doing?

"What the bloody hell's takin' him so long?" Newt muttered. He was sitting on one of the beds, glancing around impatiently. "He said he'd be back as soon as he can."

"Do you really trust his word?" Minho snorted

"Do you really trust his word?" Minho snorted. "It's Thomas we're talkin' about. Stupid shank probably got sidetracked by a pretty nurse."

Newt shot him a glare. "Not funny."

"Maybe a little bit."

"Can you guys shut up?" The tall boy - Felix - said irritably.

Minho glared at him. "No. In fact, continue with that klunk attitude of yours and you might just find yourself the one making noise as I throttle you."

"The hell's wrong with you?" Felix stared at him. "You think I want to be here as much as you do? Just wait for Aris and your buddy to return, alright?"

"Guys, shut up!" I demanded before Minho could fire off more insults. I pointed to the bed where Thomas had disappeared underneath. "Do you hear that?"

Everyone fell silent and we stilled, straining our ears. I heard a distant thumping, like someone was crawling through a vent. The noise got louder and louder until the metal grate flew from under the bed and slid over the floor, and Thomas popped back out.

"We gotta go," he muttered, scrambling to his feet and headed towards the door.

"What?" Minho said incredulously.

"We gotta go, we gotta go right now!" Thomas said more frantically.

"What the hell are you talking about?"

"What'd you mean we gotta go?" Newt asked.

"They're coming, come on, we gotta go!"

Thomas yanked the blanket off of the nearest bed and leaped to the door again, ignoring our cries of protests and questions. He tied the handles together, his fingers fumbling. I heard another thump behind me and whirled around to see Aris crawling out of the vent. He looked shellshocked, his eyes wide.

"Aris, what the hell happened?" Frypan demanded, moving closer to him. The sandy-haired boy didn't answer, just continued staring down at the floor in shock.

Felix went over to Aris' side and muttered something to him, probably trying to calm his friend down.

"Thomas, can you just calm down and talk to us!" Newt said.

"She's still alive," Thomas responded, still trying to tie the blanket over the door handles.

"Who's 'she'?" Frypan said angrily. "Teresa?"