Chapter 16

It was a normal day...no one in the higher ranks were on guard duty, and that includes me. Jane was sent on a mission with Demetri and Felix. Alec didn't go because they were only dealing with one vampire. A knock on the door interrupted my thoughts as I turned towards the window, looking at the pink and yellow sky.

"Come in." I whispered, knowing the person would hear.

The door opened and someone placed a hand on my shoulder. I turned around and saw Alec.

"Hi Alec." I mumbled.

"What's wrong, Aria?" he asked.

Man. Was it that obvious?

"Nothing." I lied.

He raised an eyebrow.

"No offense. But you're really bad at lying." He said, crossing his arms.

I sighed and looked down. He wrapped his arms around me and rubbed my back, comfortingly.

"You can tell me." he prompted.

"Well...after I became a vampire...I felt like nothing more than a monster. I take lives everywhere I go. I cause fear. I'm like the devil's daughter." I whispered the last part.

"You are nothing like the devil's daughter...if he had one. You are an angel from heaven, just cursed with an evil gift. Just like me and Jane. Just from our gifts, would you call us devil borns?"

I turn towards him shocked.

"No never. You are nothing like witch twins even though everyone calls you that. You and your sister are the sweetest people I have ever met." I whispered.

He smiled a genuine smile.

"Thank you Aria. That is nice of you to say...but we all now that it's not true." he said, looking at his hands.

I lift his chin.

"You need to see past your gift. See how it helps people. People could go through their transformation much less painfully. It is a beautiful gift. Just like Jane. She teaches people how they take comfort for granted. That is a very valuable lesson. But my gift. All it does it cause fear to a person. There is no light in that." I said darkly.

He looked at me, shocked.

"I never thought of it that way. But you got one thing wrong."

"And what might that be?"

"Your gift teaches people what to suspect when they do meet their fear. Then it won't be the first time they experienced it. That is one amazing gift."

Venom tears filled my eyes.

"Thank you Alec." I whispered.

"Anything for you bellisimo." he whispered.

I smiled.

"Alec....what's your greatest fear?" I asked curiously.

"Losing you and Jane." he whispered.

Then he kissed me.

And I kissed back.