16 - AND THE HEAVENS CRY

She cried herself to sleep that night, her salty tears soaking into her pillow. Carrie and Michael had had their first fight, and it had left her feeling cold and miserable, all of her happiness zapped away. And all because of Michael Langdon. He had been cruel to her about going to prom with Tommy Ross. You're not normal. I'm not normal. We'll never have normality. His words rung like church bells inside her head until the striking sounds were all she could hear. 

     And the ringing followed her to school the next day. Carrie and Ava were walking side-by-side to the library during lunch, both girls cradling books to their chest. They moved fluidly through the thongs of students together as Carrie informed her friend about Tommy Ross's prom proposal. 

     "Are you sure that going to prom with Westfield High's favourite jock is the best idea?" Ava's voice wavered with concern. Her forehead had creased with each word Carrie had uttered out about going to prom with Tommy Ross. 

     Carrie bit at her bottom lip, her teeth nibbling at the pink flesh. "Michael wasn't too keen on the idea either," she admitted, her heart sinking with the reminder. We're nothing like normal, my Carrietta, and you will be crowned rightfully for it one day. Michael had been damn right scary yesterday afternoon. 

     "I'm glad it's not just me then. Like, I get that Tommy's a sweet guy, and much nicer than we both originally gave him credit for," Ava paused, searching for the right words, "it's just... why don't you come with Seth and me? He won't mind." Seth Covey was Ava Gold's date for the prom. The pair were actually biology partners and they'd made a deal at the beginning of the year that if they didn't get prom dates, they'd go together. Ava was actually thankful that no one else had asked her because she and Seth got on really well, even if there wasn't anything romantic between them. He made her laugh and always pulled his weight with their biology assignments. "Actually, he'd probably love having two girls on his arm. He'd feel like the belle of the ball!" she added in a cheerful manner, her eyes bright with the suggestion. 

     While Carrie was touched that Ava had extended her an invitation, she shook her head. "I can't bail on him after saying yes, that would be rude. Besides, I'm excited to go with him." And it was true. The stars were finally aligning for Carrie Moore and she would finally have her golden, picture-perfect teenage experience, straight out of an after-school special. Or at least, that's what Carrie believed, despite Michael's deadly warning. 

     Ava nodded glumly. "Well, I'll be there with Seth if you need backup." The dark-skinned girl then smiled, shifting the hefty load of books in her arms. 

     Carrie couldn't help but return the smile, happiness warming her blood. "How'd I get so lucky to have you as a friend?"

     She shrugged her thin shoulders dramatically. "Call it a gift from the universe! Have you told your mum about prom yet?" 

     Carrie scoffed. "Heavens no. I'm waiting for the perfect moment to drop that bomb." The blonde teenager didn't know how her dear mother would take the news of prom, but Carrie suspected it wouldn't go over smoothly. She planned on telling her mother at the last possible moment, limiting the possible whiplash. 

     But there would be a painful whiplash and flying debris—a battleground will be forged between the two Moore women, the lines of war will be drawn. A bad moon will hover over Los Angeles the night of prom, watching with a wicked glint at the glory and chaos that will play out like some bloody and bewitching after-school special. 

—