1 ── Cases

( Florida , 2015 )

( Miami )

"STRENGTH ISN'T HAVING THE WILL TO NOT BE WEAK, IT'S THE ABILITY TO GET BACK UP AFTER BEING BERATED, TORTURED, AND MOST OF ALL, BROKEN." She spoke to the recruits that sat around her. As an experienced detective, she had been requested to speak to them, surely a learning experience for everyone. "Now, someone tell me how we can accomplish this in the field. And, please, no bullshit answers otherwise you'll do one hundred push-ups before leaving" she spoke, a smirk dancing upon her lips.

She stood in front of them, waiting for an answer. She wore her long hair in a high ponytail as she dressed in almost all black, appropriate for the occasion. A white t-shirt to go under her black leather jacket and dark blue jeans while wearing her black combat boots.

"You, third row, with the snapback! Let us hear your answer" she spoke to the man she described, seeing as no one dared to raise their hand. He had only looked around him in response, practically inviting her to yell at him. "I said", she paused with obvious tension, "give me an answer, recruit!" she yelled at him, her annoyance building up at the young men & women.

"W-We could be like you?" he replied with no confidence in his answer, not sure about it at all.

"You could but then you'd die because of your apparent incompetent—" she began to yell with anger rising in her voice before hearing a loud cough, a purposeful one. She cocked her head to the right to see her own former recruit. "Class dismissed! Get out, all of you!" she exclaimed, causing them all to scurry like rats. "Mikey, what can I do for you?" she joked, using his basic nickname.

"It's Michael, Amara" he replied monotone, already seemingly annoyed at her joking.

"Like I asked, what can I do for you?"

"Come back to the station with me, please."

"Could I ask why? I'm pretty sure I haven't committed a felony yet, Mike" she teased, covering her slight tone of confusion.

"We can only discuss it once we're at the station, alone."

"...Okay, let's go then, Mikey" she replied as she followed him out of the lecture space. They took his car to the station, almost no words spoken between them, tension surely building. Her mind wandered to the many plausible things that he wanted to discuss with her. Obviously, she was a respected officer, well, detective of the force but there was no news of awards any time soon. It was also possible they wanted to talk about a raise or promotion but she had made it clear she only wanted to remain as a detective for some time longer.

Arriving at their destination, she stepped out to only be brought to some confidential room.

"Amara, you're aware of the infamous Sin Rostro, correct?" a dark skinned woman questioned, presumably a partner of Michael's.

"Me and just about every other detective in Florida, yes."

"Well, we have reason to believe he's operating here, in Miami."

"What evidence are you basing that on, Cordero? Could be a copy cat for all we know" she fired back, knowing Sin Rostro is bad.

"Evidence from and at the Marbella hotel—"

"The Marbella Hotel?" she interrupted, shocked at the mention of the establishment.

"Yes, are you familiar with it?"

"...I've heard of it" she merely muttered, not wanting to even expand on the details.

"Look, this is an ongoing investigation and you're one of the best. You'd be helping us catch a notorious criminal kingpin. Please, Amara" Michael pleaded, hopefully gaining sympathy.

"...Fine. Just tell me when and where."

authors note !
This is crap but amara isn't.