━ TWO: EVENTUALLY, EVERYTHING CONNECTS

❝𝑇𝘩𝑒𝑟𝑒 𝑎𝑟𝑒 𝑔𝑜𝑜𝑑 𝑠𝘩𝑖𝑝𝑠 𝑎𝑛𝑑 𝑡𝘩𝑒𝑟𝑒 𝑎𝑟𝑒 𝑤𝑜𝑜𝑑 𝑠𝘩𝑖𝑝𝑠, 𝑡𝘩𝑒 𝑠𝘩𝑖𝑝𝑠 𝑡𝘩𝑎𝑡 𝑠𝑎𝑖𝑙 𝑡𝘩𝑒 𝑠𝑒𝑎. 𝐵𝑢𝑡 𝑡𝘩𝑒 𝑏𝑒𝑠𝑡 𝑠𝘩𝑖𝑝𝑠 𝑎𝑟𝑒 𝑓𝑟𝑖𝑒𝑛𝑑𝑠𝘩𝑖𝑝𝑠, 𝑎𝑛𝑑 𝑚𝑎𝑦 𝑡𝘩𝑒𝑦 𝑎𝑙𝑤𝑎𝑦𝑠 𝑏𝑒.❞
— ᴼˡᵈ ᴹᵃʳᶤᵗᶤᵐᵉ ᴮˡᵉˢˢᶤᶰᵍ

❞— ᴼˡᵈ ᴹᵃʳᶤᵗᶤᵐᵉ ᴮˡᵉˢˢᶤᶰᵍ

━━━━━━ ✧ ━━━━━━

THE SKY WAS FULL of clouds, the gray mounds hiding the sun and giving a glum atmosphere to the day, but the weather didn't hinder Oliver in his mission to build a sand castle.

Casper was appointed building assistant by the boy, and tasked with filling the red toy bucket with sand. The scene was sweet, but also slightly comical, the six foot something man crouched in the beach, making the sand castle that was already not that big in comparison to Oliver look minuscule.

Evangeline observed them with amused eyes, alternating between watching them and reading her book, sitting down in the sand on a plaid blanket a few feet away.

It was during one of the periods of time in which she was paying attention to her book that a group of people arrived, a little girl not much older than Oliver with them, drawing the boy's attention and making him determined to make friends with her, after all, he didn't know any kids in this new place, and he wasn't going to miss the opportunity to finally have a friend his age.

"I don't think I'm needed anymore." Casper's voice drew Evangeline's attention from the written words, finally taking in the new scene in front of her. The girl replaced Casper, her and Oliver side by side making a sand tower. "He dropped me like a hot potato."

"Don't sulk, I'm sure he'll be back to showering you with attention later in the day." She smiled at the man that was now sitting by her side. "Besides, it's good for him to make a friend his age instead of having to spend all his time with grownups."

"I know, and I'm glad," Casper nodded, leaning back on his hands. "but I just have this feeling that I think it's what moms feel when they finally go on a date after giving birth and leave their child with a babysitter."

Laughter bubbled from Evangeline, tears of amusement forming on the corners of her eyes. "One would think you're actually Oli's mom."

Casper shrugged, a playful smile forming on his lips. "More like the doting uncle."

"Hey, do you guys mind if we join you?" One of the people that arrived with the girl approached the duo, a friendly smile on his face. "We want to keep an eye on Claire."

"Sure, we don't mind." Evangeline gestured to the free space on the blanket so that they would sit down. "I'm Evangeline, and this is Casper."

"I'm Quil." The man introduced himself after sitting down, the three people with him doing the same. "These are Embry, Seth and Leah." He pointed to each person as he said their name. "And that little girl is Claire, she's Seth's and Leah's cousin."