Chapter 7

Waking up was the hardest thing I could've done today. I had such a painful and eventful day yesterday. I fell asleep as soon as I hit the bed, unaware of the other person laying next to me. Opening my eyes, I see a white wall ahead of me, I remembered where I was. The memories of yesterdays events flooded back to me as I laid over onto my back. Taking a deep breath, my eyes shifted over to the figure next to me, seeing James already awake. "Good morning, doll." He greeted, giving me a smile on my face, though I hadn't been awake long enough to be even nearly as cheerful. "Morning." I replied, slowly sitting up and running my hair through my red bed hair. 

"How did you sleep?" He asked and I nodded towards him.

"As well as can be. What about you?" He nodded as well, implying the same. I sat at the edge of the bed, looking for my shoes. As I grabbed one I felt a difference in weight of my hair. I furrowed my brows, I turned to see the source. James was touching part of my hair, inspecting it. I gently pulled my hair back, snapping James out of his trance. "Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to touch you. I was just thinking how pretty of a color it is." He smiled softly before taking his hand away. "Oh, thank you." I experienced many compliments on my hair color, constantly told how people are jealous of natural gingers, but I felt the genuine compliment when it came from him. I smiled back after putting my boots on and standing up. Time for that dreaded report I promised to write. Sighing as I stood, I put my hair in a ponytail and went to leave. I suddenly felt a hand on my wrist, causing me to turn and look towards him.

"What's up?" I asked, seeing a puzzled expression on his face.

"You're going to write that report right? Why don't you do it... here, where there isn't any disturbance? I could use the company." He smiled towards me, a smile that would make any woman drop to her knees instantly. The kind that made your heart stop. He had a point though, in the crowded control room, filled with buzzing people trying to stop this whole bizarre situation. I had a personal computer in this room too, so why not? Giving up whatever excuse I was going to give, I gave a small nod.

As I agreed, I could see that killer smile become even brighter. "I won't bother you, promise." he patted a spot on the bed as I sat down and popped open the laptop to a bright screen and instantly begin typing. I wrote as much as could from the experience. It was all so vivid to me, I didn't have an issue with it. I scrolled through my emails to the previous report that was given to me, on the Zerksis' proportions and information and compared it to now. Out of the corner of my eyes, James was cleaning one of his weapons, I suppose he was just making busy work. Returning my attention to the computer screen, I see a new email that was mailed out a few hours ago. I clicked on it and opened it, to see a detailed email of a plan. My heart sunk as I read the contents.

Reading it, they had planned to ditch the ship we are on and the contents of the Xenomorph's as soon as possible. They are waiting for my report before leaving. This email wasn't meant for me. Yutani planned on deceiving me all along, getting my information and leaving. 

I felt hurt, angry, and scared.

James could probably sense my distress as he looked over and also read the screen.

"Oh shit..." He said out loud, making my head turn to him.

"Did you know about this? About this plan?" I pointed at the screen as panic filled my voice. He only shook his head frantically.

"No, Yutani doesn't give us orders usually. We get them from the commander." He continued to read before pointing at the bottom of the email letter. "Look, look. 'Crew expendable'. What the fuck?" I quickly turned my head to read it and it was true. This email wasn't for any of us, just the higher ups. The plan was to get the report and information, and ditch us along with the ship. 

"W-What are we going to do?" I asked, before he stood up and paced the room. 

"Don't give him that report. We're going to go talk to him." He put on his boots and vest, grabbing his jacket. "Come on. We gotta hurry." He said, tossing me my jacket. I quickly put it on, grabbing my tablet and running out of the room with him. "He's probably in the control room... He's gotta be." He mumbled to himself, holding his rifle close to his body as I ran behind him. Coming up to the door, I quickly typed in my code to open the control room. A few beeps erupted and the door opened. What I saw was a horrid sight and the stench of death filled my nose. The control room personnel were dead. Yutani at the front with the commander.

"Ah, Helena. You're just in time. I trust you finished the report I assigned you?" He asked, offering his hand to me.

I clutched the tablet tight, shaking my head. "I'm not giving it to you."

"What was that?"

"I'm not giving it to you." I repeated, looking him dead in the eye. "You can burn in hell." I spit towards him, Yutani only giving a straight poker face. He sighed, shaking his head as he pulled something from behind his back.

"That's a shame." He pulled a pistol out, and a gunshot rang throughout the room. I quickly opened my eyes when I heard a grunt and a loud thud. I looked to my left, to see James had fallen. "James!" I cried out, dropping everything in my hands and running to his side. 

"I wasn't expecting that to happen." Yutani's voice rang throughout my ears, as he grabbed the tablet off the ground. "Thank you Helena. I knew you'd cooperate." He said in an almost cheerful voice, walking across the hall to a pressurized escape pod. A few button beeps filled my ears before I saw the escape pod door close. I ran up to the door, banging on it, screaming, trying anything to convince him not to leave. Before I knew it, the pod was gone. Detached from the ship and headed back to Earth. I began to shake, panic, not knowing what to do.

I heard a groan behind me, making me turn quickly only to realize it was James. I ran back to his side, placing his head on my lap.

"James, James! Can you breathe? Can you speak?" I gently grabbed his head, only to feel the wetness of blood touch my fingers. He had been grazed in the head by the bullet when he pushed me out of the way. He only nodded, attempting to sit up.

"Don't! Don't get up, you were just shot in the head." I said, grabbing and ripping his sleeve to bandage the wound on the head. 

"Is that why I feel like shit?" He asked, successfully sitting up and running a hand through his hair. He looked around, grabbing his gun off the ground and putting it over his shoulder with a heavy grunt. "What happened?" He asked, making me bite my lip.

"Yutani and the Commander have left the ship." My lip shook as I spoke, slowly getting to my feet and dusting myself off. I looked around the oddly quiet and vacant halls. It was all so creepy and quiet with everyone dead. Out of instinct, I grabbed onto his sleeve and he put his hand on mine gently.

"Does that mean we're the only ones here?" 

_____________

SEQUEL OUT NOW:

https://www.wattpad.com/story/185561667-interspecies-king