Part VI: Fight or Flight

SCENE 27: CLAIRE’S LIVING ROOM. MIDNIGHT. AUDIO CHAT VIA SKYPE.

JEFF:                   So, you gonna fuck him now?

HANNAH:             For God’s sake, Jeff, lower your voice. I have a mute button and I’m not afraid to use it.

JEFF:                   Sorry, Hannah, but weren’t you the one who said you liked things simple?

HANNAH:             No, Jeff, that has always been you. I like the thrill of not knowing what’s going to happen.

JEFF:                   Then why are we having this conversation? And it’s not the first time that you come running to me when some poor bastard falls for you. Remember that time when you actually asked me to come to your place and pretend I was your boyfriend because some loser wanted to spend time with you?

HANNAH:             I know, I sometimes mess up. But this is different. This isn’t about Aidan. It’s about his wife.

JEFF:                   So you have a crush on her now?

HANNAH:             It’s not that! Though, I have to admit, she is very beautiful… My point is, I can’t lie to her. And I don’t want Aidan doing it either.

JEFF:                   Do you think he would?

HANNAH:             People do very stupid things when faced with a choice between the old and the forbidden.

JEFF:                   This will get messy. Don’t say afterwards I didn’t warn you.

HANNAH:             All I have to do is say ‘no’ if he tries anything. And I will. I just hope he doesn’t try. For if he does, I may very well despise him for it.

SFX: key in the door. door being unlocked.

HANNAH:             Someone’s coming home. Jeff, I need to go. Thanks for listening. Talk to you soon.

JEFF:                   Hey, babe, take it easy, ok?

HANNAH:             I’ll do my best.

SFX: steps entering the room

AIDAN:                 (SURPRISED. TIPSY.) What are you doing here?

HANNAH:             I might ask you the same. Aren't stag parties supposed to continue longer?

AIDAN:                 They are. Unless you get tired of listening to other people getting drunk and complaining about their shitty marriages.

HANNAH:             So you left them?

AIDAN:                 Sure as hell I did! What about you? What keeps you awake? Everything OK with the kids?

HANNAH:             Yes, yes, they’re sleeping. I was just about to watch a movie.

AIDAN:                 What movie?

HANNAH:             European. Care to join me?

AIDAN:                 Why not.

FADE

SCENE 28: INT. CLAIRE’S LIVING ROOM. LATE NIGHT.