Chapter Two

The Federation

Chapter Two

A/N: This will be a series. At the moment I am unsure of how many books I will write for this, but they will most likely be written during Camp NaNoWriMo and NaNoWriMo. I just thought I would let you know!

"A-a rebel? What's a rebel?" Jacob asked.

Marrie sighed. "I don't know. But, I need to do some research on her family and I don't want the government to mess that up, so can we take our vacation out of the country early?"

Jacob sighed. "Maybe. I'll have to move a lot of stuff around and tell the government, of course. We can't move as freely as we used to."

Marrie sighed. "I'd hate to stress you out even more. I know that the government is already giving you crap for holding on to Adalyn for so long."

"I just want to raise her like I was. Until I was ready to take on the world." Jacob said. "And I completely intend to do that, no matter what the Federation says."

"Just be careful. They watch us everywhere. There's no escape." Marrie said.

"I'd better get some sleep." Jacob said as he laid back down.

Marrie walked back over to her cot and went back to sleep as well. I tried to sleep, but I didn't understand my career.

"Rebel? What was rebel?" I wondered. Rebel wasn't a category that I knew of. That couldn't be good.

I tried to shrug it off and get some sleep, but it wouldn't come. I was too worried.

I wonder if my brother was a rebel?

Did I even have a brother? It was so long and frankly, if I had a brother, he would have been ten years older than me so he would be well into his twenties. He wouldn't even be around for anything special.

I sighed. How would I know? I was five or six. He might remember me, but I wouldn't remember him too well. Maybe I could dream about him and then the dream would confirm my suspicions.

Who knows? I bet Jacob and Marrie know. I bet my real mom and dad know. I think I called my mom mama. I think I called my dad papa. I think I called my brother Sam or Sammy. He hated that I called him Sammy, but he thought that it was cute.

Did they love me? Why did they leave me? Was I not enough?

Scout sniffed and licked my face. I rubbed his back and he snuggled closer to me. I tried to relax and managed to catch another few hours of sleep and woke up only to hear Marrie cooking breakfast and to hear Jacob talking to her in hushed tones.

I rolled over to hear better, although I already knew they were talking about me.

"I'll call Forrest tomorrow. I'm lucky that he's so forgiving and understanding." Jacob said. Forrest was his new boss.

"I'm glad John quit. He was just awful to you." Marrie said as she poured more batter into a pan.

"He was awful to everyone who disagreed with him. I know one of our interns who would act like she agreed so she wouldn't aggravate him." Jacob responded.

Marrie set a plate in front of him. "Hm. Well, when can you call the government?"

"I don't know. I really wish we didn't have to do this but I'm worried. What if Adalyn's brother was a rebel as well and was taken away because of that?" Jacob whispered.

"Jacob, I think we'll just have to run away." Marrie responded.

"But we can't. We'd have to get everything approved and you and I both know that the government won't let us out without revoking guardianship of Adalyn and she would have to fend for herself and she's too young." Jacob responded.

"Could we just go on vacation and never come back?" Marrie asked.

"No. They would find us. They always find us." Jacob said.

Everything went quiet for a few minutes, minus the clinking of Jacob's fork and the sizzle of pancake batter on Marrie's pans.

I decided to reveal to my family that I was awake, so I rolled off of the sectional and helped Scout onto the floor.

Marrie noticed that I was up. "Good morning Adalyn Maybelle. I've made your favorite pancake recipe."

I nodded and walked over as Scout pranced around until he noticed that Jacob was eating and went over to beg.

I sat next to Jacob and Marrie brought a plate of pancakes over to me. I thanked her and she went off to finish cooking the rest of the batter. Jacob looked at Scout as he pawed at Jacob's legs.

"Silly dog." He said before putting his empty plate on the ground so Scout could lick the remaining crumbs, syrup and butter.

I laughed as Scout was pushing the plate across the room and hadn't figured out how to keep the plate from doing so until he was finished licking the remains.

Scout realized that I was eating and pranced over to me as Jacob turned on the TV.

"So, Marrie and I are thinking about going on vacation early. Is that okay?" He asked.

I nodded. "Yeah. School let out for the summer a week ago so I don't have anything to worry about until September."

Marrie sighed a bit and secretly shook her head.

Jacob kissed my cheek and put the TV on some comedy show. He looked at the people on the screen and tried to look entertained.

I zoned out after finishing my food and looked at Scout, who had jumped back onto the sectional that I had slept on and curled up under my blanket. He was still very young and wasn't even weaned off his mother when his mother died. He still wasn't supposed to eat normal dog food so I had to bottle feed him a little every day.

He must have remembered he hadn't been fed yet so he came over and pawed at my leg. He hopped into my lap and whined.

"I think he wants to be fed, sweetie." Marrie said.

I nodded in agreement and put Scout in my arms before going to grab some food for Scout. We kept his bottles in the fridge down here and we would be stuck down here for the rest of the day because the Federation was choosing their vanishers and torturers.

I took a bottle out and took Scout over to the couch. I held him and put the bottle to his lips. As he ate, Jacob began to nod off and Scout did as well. Marrie came over and put the TV on some news programming to be sure we were safe.

"Looks like they're looking for people in the Handel district." Marrie said.

We lived in the Bennett district, which was very far from the Handel district. Marrie continued to watch as she had friends in the Handel district that she was worried about.

Therefore, I was left with my thoughts after Scout finished his meal and fell asleep as if he was a human baby. I put the bottle on the coffee table for when he was hungry again.

I really hope the government doesn't take me away just to kill me.

If they do, then I'll have to run.

I don't want to run, but the government might make me. But, they would find me. They find everybody.

A while back, there was some guy killing all these people and despite the fact that the government seems to adore death, they condemned the acts and launched a massive search. They found him and chose him for their kill of the year and allowed for the families to avoid the kill system for the rest of their years.

Also, a young girl went missing and was found in Russia. The government had no idea how she got there but brought her back and chose her as a torture subject. Legend has it her tortured soul haunts her representative's house.

Nobody knows how the government found any of them, but it is surprising that they could find that girl who was nowhere near the Society's platform.

It almost triggers the thought that they could be chipping us before we are born, putting something in our food or water, there are endless possibilities.

The only thing that matters to me right now is saving myself and my family.

Then, we heard an explosion.