What's This, An Encore Performance?

"Are you two up to introduce us to Rainbow Diamond today?"

        Garnet was smiling uncontrollably.

        Even after everything that had happened, she was still bursting with excitement to meet the Crystal Gems' new addition, and was looking eagerly between the two, waiting.

        Steven glanced at Pearl over the coffee table. She looked a little shy.

        He nodded. "I'm okay with that, but it's up to Pearl."

        At this, her head jerked up, and upon meeting Garnet's gaze, she flushed. "I-I mean, of course! — if that's what you want? We haven't fused since . . . since the first time though—"

        "Pearl." Garnet set a gentle hand on her shoulder and shifted a little closer on the couch. "They'll be wonderful. I'm so excited to meet them."

        Pearl's smile was small, but genuine. "Well . . . I suppose we can try."

        Everyone looked over to Amethyst, sprawled in the corner. She shrugged. "Count me in, I guess."

        But Garnet could see the twinkle in her eyes.

*****

Pearl had decided there was no better place to try again than the Sky Arena. She began her usual, elegant dancing, Steven deciding to humour her until they stepped close and met in the middle, at which point he wrapped his arms around her. Pearl seemed surprised but the fusion was already in motion, Gems shifting higher and whitened form amalgamating around them.

        The colour returned, details defined, and Garnet found four nervous eyes gazing at her.

        ". . . Hello."

        Their voice was youthful, light, but precise and firm like Pearl's. Garnet's grin grew even wider (if that were even possible), and behind her visor, her eyes sparkled. Beside her, even Amethyst looked delighted.

        ". . . Rainbow Diamond."

        The name rolled off Garnet's tongue as easily as ever, and she laughed, stepping forward to set her hands on their shoulders. The fusion still looked nervous, face pinched, watching her intently for a reaction. She found herself running her hands down their arms, catching their hands up in her own and holding them to her chest.

        "Oh . . . you're beautiful," she breathed. The words rang with truth. The fusions stood, gazing at each other for a moment, before she spoke again. "How do you feel?"

        "I. . ." Rainbow glanced down at their hands in hers, and smiled. "I feel amazing."

        They squeaked in surprise when Garnet suddenly pulled them close. "You are amazing," she whispered into their ear, and they flushed.

        "Are you just gonna let Garnet do all the important stuff?"

        Amethyst's voice cut through the moment and Rainbow wrenched back, eyes wide, but softened once they noticed the smaller Gem's grin.

        "Well?" Amethyst flung her arms wide and waited. When the new fusion stepped closer, she latched onto them, hugging tight. Garnet could see Pearl in the fusion as they stood, bewildered, and smiled when they laughed and lifted Amethyst up to squeeze her back.

        "Thanks, Amethyst," came their quiet voice.

        Garnet let them savour the embrace for a few more moments before she broke the silence. "Connie will arrive any minute for her sword-fighting lesson."

        Rainbow Diamond opened their eyes, staring at her. They set Amethyst on her feet and for the first time Garnet noticed the reversed diamond set against their navel.

        "I guess we should unfuse," they sighed.

        "No!"

        The cry seemed to come from nowhere, and the watching Gems jumped, looking around. They turned back to Rainbow Quartz, and only upon noticing the fire in their eyes did they realise the fusion themself had yelled. Slowly, Rainbow lifted their eyes, and, realising they were the centre of attention, flushed.

        "Well. . . let's go!" They squeaked, and hurried for the warp pad.

        Garnet and Amethyst glanced at each other and followed.

*****

It was Rainbow Quartz who opened the door for Connie.

        Upon entering and actually noticing the fusion she froze in awe, landing on the gem set against their forehead.

        ". . . Pearl?"

        Her eyes trailed down, searching, and finally landed on the reversed diamond glinting against their skin.

        "Steven??"

        The fusion was grinning ear-to-ear.

        "I'm Rainbow Diamond," they announced, jabbing a thumb towards their chest. "And I'm your teacher today!"

        Connie's face lit up — and then her brow creased in confusion. "But . . . usually yo— usually, Pearl teaches me, and Steven fights with me."

        "I can do both!"

        As Connie gazed at them, she felt her own mouth curl into a smile. Something exciting and sweet bubbled in her chest.

        "I can't wait."

PROMPT: "Yo can we get more of that Rainbow Quartz 2.0" — for ArtyFox2002 on Archive Of Our Own! Hope you enjoyed! :)
        P.S. I was so thrilled to receive this request. It feels so lovely to have my work be appreciated and for people like you guys to want more!!