Chapter 1

I know you're the one

When you meet me

Halfway to my darkness

(A poem by Adi K.)

*  *  *  *  *

F District, H City, 2010.

The sun had sunk beneath the horizon, and the rich color of the fleeting sunset began to fade away when Ye Tian Xin walked down the alleyway of her neighborhood. The tint of orange which previously decorated the sky had now melted into a deep purple color and soon merged with the darkness. As autumn approached its climax, a group of soft grey clouds could be found hanging on the sky of H City—ready to spill its contents in any time.

Founded during the Qin Dynasty, F District was surrounded by low mountains, hills, and valleys. As her sub-district was located in a higher land, Ye Tian Xin could see the city view which unfolded below her very clearly.

The sparkling, colorful city lights gracefully fell on the surface of the Fuchun River, creating a breathtaking and beautiful view that could bewitch any soul. Countless vehicles which lined the road down there moved slowly due to the traffic jam—building the image of dazzling light threads amidst the darkness that began to engulf the whole town. Modern, high-rise buildings blended with rows of ancient-style residences and created a harmonious fusion. Truly enchanting.

Walking down the alleyway, Ye Tian Xin was accompanied by soft rock music that rang on her ears through the earphones. Her cherry-colored lips were busy chewing a grape flavored bubble gum and occasionally humming the song lyrics. She looked extremely relaxed, as though she was currently walking in a beautiful spring garden.

During such a windy night, Ye Tian Xin's tall and willowy figure was securely covered in an oversized, gray hoodie as her slender legs were wrapped in black skinny ripped jeans. A charcoal-black backpack was hanging off her right shoulder, while the same color sneakers hugged her feet—emphasizing her youthful images. Her silky, shoulder-length black hair was tied into a ponytail, exposing her slender, milky-white neck.

Ye Tian Xin was sure that she listened to her music at a deafening volume. She could guarantee, even the shrill voice of her fussy neighbor, Madame Zhou, couldn't reach her eardrums at all. However, not long after she turned into another alleyway which quite desolated, her ears caught a certain noise. And, after took another few steps, Ye Tian Xin was met with a very interesting scene.

Around four meters ahead, a group of high school students were busy kicking and punching a pitiful boy who was currently curled into a ball. They didn't stop cursing and scolding in a high-pitched voice, which made Ye Tian Xin suddenly felt irritated. Very good, very brave!

They dare to block my way, ah?

Removing the headsets that clogged her ears abruptly, Ye Tian Xin clicked her tongue in annoyance. In the next moment, she took her cell phone with a slight frown on her exquisite countenance and dialed a certain string of numbers.

"Hello? Police station?" Ye Tian Xin deliberately talked in a loud voice. Annoyance still flashing on her eyes, but she still looked as calm as always. "I would like to report a fighting incident in F District. Someone is dying. Can you please come quickly?"

Hearing Tian Xin's voice, the previously lively alleyway suddenly went quiet. Those bad high schoolers abruptly stopped their fun activities and turned their head to Ye Tian Xin's direction in unison—their movements were halted in the mid-air as their face looked blank for several seconds.

The very next moment, as though they just realized what she just did, they cursed at her with the most deadly curses.

"B*tch! What are you doing?!"