Out Of Time

It began slow. A few pieces of litter around the street and plastic bags being used on the regular, this was normal. No one could've anticipated what the future would hold especially now that the Earth is almost gone.

Years later plastic was becoming more and more important to everyday society and all of it would end up in the ocean. I can't deny that plastic wasn't something I used on the regular. I had found that plastic silverware was much easier since all I had to do was throw them away when I was done with them. I wish that I could go back.

I would've changed things if I knew that it would lead to this, I would've told people to stop when they should've. I should've listened when there were reports coming on the news warning people of danger in the future if we kept plastic for everything. But I didn't. No one did.

HEADLINE: THOUSANDS OF MARINE LIFE NOW EXTINCT DUE TO EXCESSIVE PLASTIC IN OCEAN WATERS

No. What have we done? Reading the headline on the front cover of the newspaper made my head spin and I felt as though I was going to pass out. I need to breathe. I scan around the coffee shop watching everyone's eyes starting to widen out of sheer horror because of what we've done to the environment.

Afraid; the one word I can think of that describes what everyone was going through. The man in the dark brown coat with grey hair was afraid. The darker skinned woman with her husband and their child were afraid. The officer eating a bagel with his partner was afraid. I was afraid.

In a flash I left, throwing some change on the table. Everyone was in a panic, it seemed everyone found out at the exact same time. It was chaos: cars were speeding, trying to get home to listen to the news. I had to go home. I had to see my family, they must know about what's happening. What if this is the end? Has this really happened or is this some sort of sick dream. My brain is fuzzy; I feel numb. I want things to go back to the way they were, why aren't things the way that they once were. Can't we fix this? We can fix this. It's not too late... right?

I have to figure this out, I need to know how far this has gone.

My car drives me as fast as it could go to the closest beach around. My brain keeps repeating that this isn't the end and it's going to be okay.

I managed to find an old pair of goggles back when I went to a swim meet. No one was around; everything was empty. Ignoring my clothes I raced into the ocean and went straight underwater, I felt the plastic wrapping around my ankles and I opened my eyes and I knew. We were out of time.