Chapter 14

It was the utter darkness and he was alone in a place, but had no idea where it was. There was no one else aside from himself, and he felt that terrible feeling of loneliness again. Like when his parents and then Hoon had left him.

How he wished there was still someone beside him - someone he could give all of himself to and be given all of themselves, just the same.

Through the darkness, he wandered alone and felt his heart weeping in pain. Slowly there appeared a small ray of light somewhere, far away from him, and with some hope, he approached it.

But the more he ran forward, the further the light got away from him. Then slowly the light transformed into something else - something more defined. It turned into a form of human being. He screamed to make that person stop. He was hurt and agonised because he could not reach that person.

But suddenly they stopped and turned their face to him, their lips twitching to a smile.

He stopped in amazement, "Hoon."

He could not move, but then he watched Hoon's face slowly change to someone else.

"Jinyoung."

He shook his head frantically as he saw Jinyoung giving him only a smile and then turning back to run away from him again.

"No, Stop! Please stop, Jinyoung!"

Mark woke up, screaming and his eyes brimming with tears. He sat up on the bed and clutched his chest, which was in pain, just like in his dream. The pain remained, and he slowly lay back on the bed.

The reality was no better than the dream. Jinyoung was not beside him and would never be. Why? Why couldn't they be together? What was separating them? Was it Jinyoung? Or was it himself?

He couldn't sleep anymore; all his thoughts were scattered. Yet all of them centred on one subject alone. Jinyoung.

He must see Jinyoung today. He had set his own rule not to see Jinyoung, in any way and for any reason. But now it had only lasted for two days. That was enough time for him to figure the things out.

Mark threw the phone to the bed in frustration. All together nine calls and none was answered. It was impossible that Jinyoung was not awake yet; it was already half past eight in the morning.

At last Mark changed into some presentable clothes to go out. He left home and drove straight to Jinyoung's house. However, when he arrived there, he found it was locked. It was Saturday and where could both Jinyoung and his father have gone?

Having no more idea where to go and search for Jinyoung, he drove along with no particular direction. But then he changed the direction to the orphanage. It was only morning and there was only thin hope that Jinyoung could be there.

For the second time, he was here again in the orphanage. He headed for the reception counter.

"Is Park Jinyoung already here? I'm his friend, so I'd like to meet him if he's here," Mark inquired.

"Oh, Jinyoung? Yes, he is. I think he's playing with the children somewhere."

Mark's eyes brightened, "Do you know where he is?"

"Hey, Minyoung, can you lead him to where Jinyoung could be now?" she turned to Mark again, "You can follow her. She would help you find him."

Later the girl led him along the corridor and to the playground in the back-yard. But as there were a lot of different sessions in the playground, it was not easy to find Jinyoung.