Part One: One Last Dream-Ashen

Ashen grabbed her fae godmother's arm and dragged her behind the nearby pumpkin patch. Her body was mostly concealed. Even if someone saw it, no one would be able to identify her. And no one would be able to trace Ashen as the killer.

After a moment's hesitation, she tossed her gloves behind the pumpkins as well. They were a dead giveaway, being covered in blood and all. Bloody princess wasn't the look she was going for, although it would get Callum's attention.

      Her fists clenched at the mere thought of him. She had a history with the royal family of Volant. Mainly the king. Tonight, finally, she would have her revenge.

      Lifting her dress, Ashen adjusted the holsters she had fashioned. A simple spell had ensured the far couldn't change them when she made Ashen pretty. Ashen smirked. The fae has thought Ashen was he one being tricked. Without her protection spells, the fae would've cursed her. Ashen shivered at the thought. She didn't want to imagine what might have happened if her late mother hadn't warned her.

      Ashen shook her head. Wondering about it did nothing. The magic would wear off at midnight. By that time, she needed to be out of the palace.

     Careful not to damage her gown, Ashen slid her swords into the holsters. They fit perfectly.

     "Thank you, Caspian," she whispered, grinning broadly. She let down her dress and began her trek towards the palace. It was the first night of the ball—the last, too, but the royals didn't know that yet—and she was already late. It seemed she would be making an entrance.

     Her feet were aching by the time she reached the palace gates. Glass slippers . . . why did she let that ruddy fae talk her into wearing them. Of course, the fae has intended for her to ride in a carriage. Maybe Ashen had killed her a little too early.

     "Name, please," the guard said. Ashen took a deep breath. This was it.

She flashed him a smile. "Wouldn't you like to know."

The guard scowled. "Are you on the list?"

Ashen nodded. "I have my invitation right here." She whispered a spell under her breath, then held out her hand. There was nothing in it, but he would see a lavish invitation from the royal family. He would later remember seeing her name on it, though he would not be able to recall what it was.

The guard looked over her hand, then gave her a curt nod.

"My apologies, miss," he said politely. "Please enjoy yourself."

Ashen's grinned triumphantly as he opened the gate. She had marched, half limped to the front steps. Here it was. She was at the palace. In minutes, she would see the royal family. Would the king recognize her? Would he realize later why she had done it? Or had he long forgotten what he had done to her family.

Well, there was only one way to find out.

Taking a deep breath, Ashen pushed open the doors.