Chapter 12

*Papa Somerhalder's P.O.V*

I couldn't breath, I felt the paddles on my chest, I heard them scream 'Clear' and felt the volt of energy threw my body. I was back. I looked over and saw my son cradled in his girlfriend's arms. She was so good to him. I wish I could take away everyone's pain. They are hurt and upset because of me. I lifted up my hand and saw Ian and Nina walk over. Ian took his hand in mine. I felt the coolness of his tears as they dropped on my hand.

"I'm gonna be okay. You listen to me, go home, get some sleep and come back tomorrow. You don't need to watch this."

"Dad, I can't just leave yo-"

"Honey, he's gonna be okay. Just go home and come back tomorrow afternoon." My wife said. I didn't need my son seeing me fade away. Ian kissed me on my cheek and told me he loved me. He fell into Nina's arms and I saw their shadows slowly fade away. I let out a small smirk, and then looked over at my wife.

"You don't need to see this either. I'm dying baby, I didn't tell him because I don't know how much pain he is capable of holding up inside of him. Go home. Please, please. That's my last wish."

"If that's what you want, I'll respect your decision."

"That's what I want. I don't my wife to see me struggle for air, or sit in pain. I love you so much. And if I don't wake up tomorrow, give Ian this." I took of my chain that I had around my neck. I got this when I was a boy." My wife was crying and quite frankily that's what I wanted to do. She kissed me and then left the room. I looked up at the clock it was 10:38 p.m..

*Nina's P.o.V*

We stood in the hospital parking lot near our car. I held Ian in my arms.

"Ian, this shoudln't be happening. Your dad, loves you so much and believe me when I say that. He's fighting and holding on to every last thing he can. No matter what, him telling you to leave was because he didn't want to see his son hurt. C'mon, let's go home."

When we finally arrived home, Ian went upstairs and I sat on the couch and cried. This man was like a father to me. My dad was never around and he took that role when I met Ian. I walked up to our room and went into the bathroom and took of my makeup. I lied down with Ian and we slowly fell asleep.

*3 hours later*

*Ian's P.O.V*

I heard the phone ringing and ran out of bed to get it. Nina followed behind me. I clicked the green button and a voice came to the phone.

"Hi, is the Ian Somerhalder or Nina Dobrev?"

"Yes, who is this?"

"Hi, my name is Melissa, I work up at L.A. Hospital. Your dad, earlier this morning was having a difficult time breathing. He asked to be taken off LifeLine, I'm sorry your father has passed away."

"No. No. No." I dropped the phone on the floor and fell to my knees.

*Nina's P.O.V*

I watched as Ian dropped the phone and fell to his knees. I knew what had just happened. I picked up the phone. The other line had hung up. I dropped down to my knees and held Ian tight in my arms. I felt the wetness seep threw the thin fabric of my shirt. I held him and rubbed his back.

"I'm so sorry. Shhh."

As Damon once said whenever you lose someone the only thing that is left behind is a hole in your heart of where that person used to be and a big ole' rock. I held him trying to hold back my own tears but I couldn't.