The Cake Is A Lie

As it gets darker and colder in the depths of Viridian forest, I know I'm safe from Pokemon at this hour of the night, but I can't help but feel somewhat afraid.

I didn't usually go out this late at night, but I really had no choice. I'd already missed too many of Gary's mediocre birthday parties, and if I missed one more, he'd never stop bugging me about it. He kept a tally on these things, he thought everything was a competition. That's exactly why I'd never thought of him as a friend, he was more of a rival. The only gift I had to offer was a cake my mother had forced me to carry all the way to Viridian city.

I did feel sorry for him in some aspects, his grandfather was suffering from severe memory loss. Professor Oak, known to so many as one of the most brilliant scientists of our age, couldn't even remember his own grandson's name! In that moment, when Professor Oak asked me, a complete stranger, to remind him of his own grandson's name, I swear I heard poor Gary's heart break. It's no wonder he was such an asshole.

As I walked through the tall grass, stepping over the sleeping bug Pokemon, the small torch I had in my hand began to flicker. I furrowed my eyebrows in frustration and whacked it against my leg, making it turn off all together. I let out a sigh and put the torch in my bag. In retrospect, it wasn't really that bad. At least I had both hands to carry the cake now.

After a few more minutes of walking, I spotted something attached to a tree. Upon closer inspection I noticed that it was a small piece of paper with something scrawled on it in black crayon. I wanted to look into it, I was looking for any excuse to delay my arrival to Garry's stupid party anyway.

I walked towards the piece of paper with no hesitation, and placed the cake on a nearby log. When I got close enough to the paper, I saw that there were a few words scrawled messily onto it.

Always watching, No eyes.

The words were accompanied by a disturbing image of an abnormally tall man wearing a suit. That wasn't what was strange about the image though; the man had no visible facial features. It was completely blank. I was left wondering whether the artist was a lazy one or that this picture had some meaning. I felt that I wanted to look into it more, so I put the note in my bag for later.

I made my way back to the log I'd left the cake on, only to discover that the cake was missing. "Where the hell could it have gone?", I thought. I searched around the log for a while to see if it had fallen, but no such luck. The cake was gone. I sat down on the log and laid my head in my hands. I was so tired, I had spent all day in this damn forest training my Pokemon, and when I finally got home, expecting a nice nap, Mother makes me go to this stupid party. I was fed up, I decided I was just going to go home. I would tell Mother that I got there and Gary took the cake and made me leave, she'll definitely believe that. I stood up angrily and began walking back the way I came. But then something stopped me in my tracks.

I saw something between the trees. A tall, dark, figure with black tentacles growing from its back. It stood completely still, staring right at me. Well, I couldn't really describe it as staring. It had no eyes.

My eyes widened when I realised that I recognised the being. It was the tall man from the picture. I noticed now that it was definitely no man. It was 3 times the height of the average man, and abnormally skinny. It wore a jet black suit and a white undershirt, with a black tie around its neck. I was frozen with fear, but I wanted so desperately to turn around and run until I found safety. In fact, I was about to do just that, until something else caught my eye.

One of the creature's tentacles was holding something. I wanted to look at it but i couldn't stop looking at the creature's featureless face. I was so stunned by fear that I couldn't move my limbs, but I still dared to move my eyes. I looked over to the tentacle and then I saw the item. It was my cake.

My eyes filled with tears, and I found it difficult to breathe. That was my cake. The cake I had spent so many minutes looking for. I had no idea how to express this emotion I was feeling in anything else but silent sobs. I felt so betrayed. This… this thing had stolen the only thing I ever cared about. I knew that this being was of the demonic nature, but I had no idea that someone could be this incredibly cruel.

I could take the pain no longer. I took a deep breath and quickly turned around and began to run towards Viridian City. I didn't make it far, though, because within two seconds of running, the creature appeared in front of me, now holding the cake with it's hand, which was outstretched. I skid to a stop, and once again, I was frozen in fear. I stood completely still, waiting for the end. I always knew I could die any day, but I never imagined it would be like this. I stood, staring at the cake in the giant being's hand, and then, it started to change.

The cake began to dematerialise, as if it was slowly disappearing. Except it wasn't disappearing, just changing. It changed into a white figure with what looked like an outstretched beak on the bottom half of it's face. I waited in pure horror as the creature began to fully materialise. Once it had, I stared in horror at the being, which somehow managed to be scarier than the taller figure which stood before me. To my utter horror, the creature began to speak, and when it did, it spoke the three most terrifying words I have ever heard.

"acully is dolan"

TO BE CONTINUED