Chapter Three

~A day ago~

KO got on the bus the next day, excited to see Y/n. He really wanted to go back over to her house again. They had so much fun the night before. They colored, they cleaned the living room so they could use the tv, they played with Y/n's blocks and built a tower. He had so much fun.

As he got on the bus, he saw Y/n sitting in the back. She looked at him and smiled, waving. KO smiled widely and made his way to the back. He sat down next to her, tossing his book bag in the seat beside them.

"Hey, KO!" Y/n said.

"Hey, Y/n! I'm so happy to see you again! I missed you so much!" KO said as he hugged Y/n tightly.

"Uh, it's only been one night since we saw each other." Y/n laughed. KO pulled away.

"I know, but it felt like years." He said. He leaned his head on her shoulder, smiling up at her. She smiled back and wrapped an arm around him.

As the bus drove down the road, a kid got on. A kid Y/n knew all too well.

The teenage boy walked to the back of the bus and sat down right in front of them. He turned around and looked at Y/n.

"Hey, four eyes." The boy said as he tapped on Y/n's glasses. Y/n huffed and pushed her glasses up her nose.

"What do you want, Vance?" Y/n asked as she crossed her arms.

"You know him?" KO asked.

"I wish I didn't. He's been bullying me ever since I got to this school." Y/n said.

"Bullying is kind of a strong word. I'd say something more like 'picking'. I was picking on you. That's not that bad." Vance said. Y/n scoffed and looked out the window.

"Whatever." She said. Vance turned to KO.

"And who are you? Paintbrush? You look like a paintbrush. I'm gonna call you Paintbrush." He said. KO frowned.

"His name is KO, Vance. Leave him alone. Leave us both alone. We didn't do anything to you." Y/n said.

"I know. That's what makes it more fun." Vance smirked. Y/n sighed and grabbed KO's hand. She grabbed their bags and walked up to the front of the bus, leaving Vance.

"He was mean." KO said.

"I know. Ever since I met him, he hasn't left me alone. He calls me 'four eyes' because of my glasses, or 'pig' because of my pig tails." Y/n said.

"Why don't you take your hair down?" KO asked. Y/n looked at the floor.

"Because... I don't want to." She said. She knew that wasn't the entire reason, but she didn't want to talk about it.

"I'm here if you want to talk." KO said as he scooted closer to her, holding her hand. Y/n smiled and leaned her head on his shoulder.

"Thanks, KO. You're a good friend." She said as she wrapped her arms around him, hugging him. KO felt butterflies in his stomach as he blushed. He smiled and wrapped his arms around her, leaning on her head. He smelled the strawberry scent in her hair. He sighed dreamily as he closed his eyes, daydreaming.

~~~

The day went by fast, especially since Y/n had KO to hang out with. They always had something to do or talk about to pass the time.

It was only moments before the bell would ring, dismissing them, and Y/n was texting someone on her phone.

She didn't realize KO was sneaking up on her, planning to give her a scare. As he crept closer, he noticed the contact on her screen. It said 'Mom'. He shrugged it off and tip toed closer.

"Boo!" He grabbed her shoulders, scaring her. She gasped sharply and quickly turned her phone screen off. She turned to KO.

"Oh, you scared me..." She smiled.

"Sorry, I just wanted to play with you..." KO laughed a bit.

"It's fine." She said. She stood up. "So, what do you wanna do after school?" On cue, the bell rang, and kids rushed out of the room and into the halls. Y/n and KO made their way to their lockers.

"I was hoping you would have something in mind." KO said. Y/n suddenly felt a vibrate coming from her phone. She pulled it out and looked at the screen.

"Oh... Sorry, KO, I've gotta head home. I'll see you tomorrow!" Y/n said as she pulled her book bag on and ran off, seemingly in a hurry. KO sighed and turned to his locker, only to see his friend, Dendy, in front of it.

"Hello, KO." She greeted. KO smiled.

"Hi, Dendy! Whatcha doing?" He asked.

"I wanted to show you this. I got it from a kid passing them out." Dendy said as she held out a small paper. It said something about a school dance the day after tomorrow. "I figured you would want to go with your girlfriend."

"Girlfriend?" KO raised an eyebrow.

"Yes. Y/n. Who else?" Dendy said. KO's eyes widened.

"O-Oh! Y/n's not my girlfriend. At least, not yet." He said.

"Yet? Does she like you back?" Dendy asked.

"I don't know. I hope she does. Maybe we can go to this dance together, and she'll dance with me and fall in love with me..." KO said as he hugged the paper and spun around, daydreaming.

"How do you know she'll like you back? What if she only wants to see you as a friend?" Dendy asked. KO stopped and furrowed his eyebrows.

"That won't happen. Right? She'll like me back. Either that, or all those romance movies I saw were lying." KO said.

"It doesn't always work out for everyone, KO. You can't force her to like you, either." Dendy said. KO sighed and looked down.

"I know. Enid already told me. She said I have to get to know her first. And I have! I found out what happened to her dad, I found out her..." KO trailed off, trying to think of another thing he found out about her.

"What's her favorite color?" Dendy asked. KO looked down thinking. "Favorite subject? Food? Show?"

"U-Uh..." KO didn't know anything of that stuff. But what did it matter? It was just small stuff.

"KO, that stuff does matter." Dendy said as if she knew what he was thinking. "You need to really get to know her before anything."

"Everyone's telling me that..." KO said.

"Because it's true. How do you know she's not more than meets the eye?" Dendy asked.

"Huh?" KO raised an eyebrow, confused.

"She could be much more than nice looks and kindness. You need to get to know who she is on the inside, not just the outside." Dendy said. KO smiled.

"You're right. I'll get to know her better before I get her to fall in love with me." KO said.

"Well, you can't actually make her--" Dendy was cut off.

"See ya tomorrow, Dendy!" KO waved goodbye as he ran off. Dendy sighed.

"See you tomorrow..." She muttered. She knew this wasn't going to end well.