we three

Demi's Younger Sister
Age 9
Y/N Lovato

Ever since you were young, it had been you and your sisters against the world. Between being huddled in a motel closet hiding from your biological father to travelling in the back seat of a car on your way to the various auditions you all so desperately hoped you would get, you would always find solace in being together. When Demi made got her first job on the Disney channel causing your mother to have to go with her to LA, you had the option to go with her, with you being so young still, but you decided against it, knowing that Demi probably wouldn't have as much time for you as Dallas would. It was great for a while — Dallas would make sure you were fed every night if your stepfather was working late, put you to bed — she was always like that though, very maternal. But it was as if a switch flicked at some point during the months because you slowly watched your big sister and best friend wither away into a shell of the person she used to be. The goodnight kisses stopped as your sister wasn't home at night anymore, leaving you alone until your stepfather, who despite not being your biological father, still raised you and cared for you as if you were his own, would return home.

Although you were only nine at the time, you knew something bad was happening with Dallas when she came home with a look in her eyes that you couldn't explain. It was almost as if she had given up hope, the charisma and positivity that normally laid behind her gaze nowhere to be found. You quickly sounded the alarm to your stepfather, who clearly already had his own suspicions as he wasted no time in making sure your mother and Demi came home for the weekend.

It was one of the worst things you had ever seen. Your baby sister was asleep in her bedroom, Demi was awake strumming her guitar in her bedroom and as far as you knew, Dallas was supposed to be in hers. You slipped out of bed one night to go and ask for a hug from your oldest sister, worrying that if you didn't hold onto her she would slip away and you would never see her again. When you pushed her door open, the sight of her scratching violently at her own skin and screaming filled your vision as you screamed for your parents to help you, help her.

"M-Mommy! D-Daddy! Help! D-Dallas!" You screamed and screamed. It felt like it took an eternity before your parents heard the cries for help as you watched your stepfather, who had become more of a father than your own biological one ever had, restrain Dallas from herself, holding her arms down. You felt your body being lifted into the comforting hold of someone you hadn't seen for nearly a month — Demi.

"Demi," you cried into her neck as she carried you out of Dallas room and instead into Madison's room, who had begun to cry from the commotion.

"Yeah baby, it's Demi. I'm here."

"Dem-m-mi, something b-bad happened to Dally and I-I need to f-fix it —"

"Let's just forget about that okay, Y/N/N? Come on, let's try and get Mad back to sleep and then you can stay in my room with me."

You could only nod in response as your big sister kissed you on the head gently, her strong arm being able to hold your light figure with ease. She cooed at Madison for a bit before she finally went back to sleep, tear tracks staining her cheeks. Demi carried you back into her bedroom and picked up her guitar off of her bed, placing it back onto its stand as she cradled you in her hold, rocking you back and forth as she had with your baby sister.

"D-Demi, is Dally gonna be o-okay?" You sniffled, petrified that you would lose your big sister despite how much she had neglected you over the past few weeks. You knew it wasn't her fault — whoever was in Dallas's body wasn't Dallas, and you were sure of that.

"Yeah Y/N, she's gonna be okay," Demi spoke softly into your ear as you dug your head further and further into her chest.

"B-But how d-do y-you know?" Your already natural stutter was intensifying with your nerves, making you an open book.