Prologue

The winter was in full swing. The middle of January, temperatures easily dropping below fifteen in the fields and mountains. The lands were ruled by a King, a king who was known to have a soft heart for children, and an even softer part for his daughter and his wife, Princess Mary and Queen Amala. Now Queen Amala had recently gone on a trip across the country to visit some foreign nobles in exchange for a peace treaty. She was heavily pregnant at the time, and it was already January 15th. The Queen had thought she was only in 8th month of pregnancy, when she was actually 9 months. So it came as a surprise when she had strayed from her guards and gotten lost in town, and the birthing convulsions started. Queen Amala gave birth to a beautiful little girl, but because Amala didn't have the strength to move, from the cold and childbirth, she died from hypothermia. The baby was found only 5 minutes later by a lonely man, around his thirties, who promptly warmed the baby in his coat and looked at the girl's mother. "Your mother was the Queen..." He smiled and brought the baby home, naming her Emily, after his wife, who'd died only a few months before, along with his daughter who had only been 5 at the time of her death. He raised her up in the kingdom her mother died in, but when she was 15, moved over to Aldona, her birth right's home. She's lived secretly as a simple peasant and the man as her father, though she already knew the truth. But everything went downhill quickly, all in one day....