2

Chapter 2

Adaku carried the tray into the hut, bending down, due to the low lintel. She placed the tray on the stool. The queen stood facing the wall as she entered.
“Your highness.” She said as Queen Ebere looked over at the food.
“Is my son back?” she asked as she shook her head, before remembering that she couldn’t see her and responding with a negative.
“No, he’s yet to return your highness.” “Get his room ready, he’s spending the night with his princess, Omachi” She said as Adaku nodded in response, her voice too shaken to be used. She steadied herself and replied before exiting the room. She moved over and arranged the prince’s room, sending a silent prayer that he returns in peace, and well. Even If she wasn’t treated properly, or with the respect she deserved, there was one thing she knew, and it was that he loved her. That thought alone brought her joy. She thought of the nights she’d get to spend in his arms, his strong, muscled arms wrapped around her as he skillfully touches her, in places only he can touch, and pleasures her in ways only he knows how to. A small smile crept unto her face as she remembered the last time they made love. He’d done it by the river bank, the night before he left for the hunting festival. He’d pleasured her, and she him. She remembered the way he moaned her name and she his name. Her blissful thoughts were interrupted by Omachi entering the room.
“Adaku, what are you doing here?” she asked, spitting each word venomously.
“I could ask you the same thing.” She replied. “You’re the one who has snaked her way into my husband’s life. She said remembering how Omachi and the queen had connived and while Ikenna was drunk on palm wine, had gotten her into his bed.
“Don’t think I’ve forgotten how you snaked your way into my husband’s life.” She said as Omachi eyed her with venom in her eyes.
“Don’t you dare talk to me like that, you OSU.”
“Don’t you dare call her that. She’s the future queen of this kingdom, and you’ll treat her as one.” Ikenna said from the doorway as they all turned to look at him. The sight of him caused all anger to flee from her as a smile made its way to her lips.
“My prince.” Omachi breathed with a smile plastered on her face.
“Get out.” He said as her face fell and she walked out in a hurry. He walked up and embraced Adaku into a warm embrace, placing a kiss on her hair.
“I missed you a lot.” She said as he held him tighter. “No one treats me properly around here. Not your mum, not Omachi. I feel terrible most of the time, and I want to cry most of the time. The only person that keeps me sane here is you. I feel so lost here, and alone. I can't also ask you to stay,  as you have duties to fulfil." She complained as tears rushed down her eyes. He held her tighter as his heart broke due to the pain in her voice, and tears in her eyes.
“Love isn’t enough, Ike.” She whispered into his chest.
“It’ll have to do till I find a solution out of this.” He said as he pulled away wiping her tears.
“For now, I want to show you how much I missed you.” He whispered into her ears as she smiled at him, letting her lips meet his in a soft, loving kiss.
*******
Adaku lay in bed, the herbalist sat applying mixtures to her skin. She groaned in pain as Ikenna held her hands, panic sweeping over his face. She’d fallen ill suddenly and no one had any idea what it was. The chief priest had been called to determine the cause of the illness as it was not a medical condition they understood. He was scared for her life, for his unborn child that lay in her womb. He could see her panic and fear swim in her eyes.
“It’ll be okay, princess, I promise you.” He said.
“It hurts terribly.” She said as tears rolled out of her eyes.
The chief priest called for the prince who left her reluctantly. The entire palace stood in a circle.
“Since no one has accepted the blame for the condition of the princess, you will all come forward and drink.” He said referring to a gourd sitting in his hands. “The culprit will begin to vomit blood, and confess.”
Everyone came forward and drank. It was a brown mixture that looked very irritating to drink. Few minutes later, Omachi began to vomit blood.
“How could you?" The queen muttered as she continued vomiting.
“Please stop it.” The prince begged as a portion was given her to drink.
“Speak.” He barked at her as she hurriedly spoke.
“I poisoned her. She stole you away from me.” She spoke, hatred fueling her voice. “She took everything I wanted, everything that was supposed to be mine. You were supposed to be mine Ikenna, but that Osu …”
“Ike…” his mother said stopping him as he raised his hand to slap her.
“I’ll deal with you later, now what poison was that.”
“Snail slime.” She muttered
“Mother, I don’t want to return and see this girl here. Let me not commit a mortal sin.” He said as he ran into the hut to inform the herbalist.
******
Adaku sat with her son, her mother-in-law preparing the bath.
“Bring him here.” She said as she placed the baby into her arms. Queen Ebere placed the baby into the bath and begun washing him.
“My daughter” she begun as Adaku looked at her.
“I’m sorry about everything.” She said her voice laced with sorrow. “I misjudged you. Could you find it in your heart to forgive me?”
“My queen, there’s no need for apologies. You wanted what was best for Ikenna, and thought it was Omachi. I understand, I also would want the best for my son.”
“You’re a precious jewel my daughter, and I’m glad my son found you.”
*******
The End.