Chapter 1

"Freckled Pool!"

Freckled Pool's mentor called her name from outside the apprentices' den, and said apprentice groaned, flicking her tail irritably. It was early, Freckled Pool could tell. The soft orange glow of the sunrise was still bathing the packed earth of SwiftClan's camp. 

As her mentor called her again, sounding more annoyed, Freckled Pool meowed a quiet, "I'm up."

"Bring Dust Tail and Summer Rain," Sleek Fur said, exasperated. "And if you can manage to wake up Shaded Moss and Bramble Talon without getting into a fight, bring them along. We're doing a joint training session and a couple of the young warriors are joining in."

"I'll do my best," Freckled Pool promised, and, satisfied, Sleek Fur padded back towards the clearing.

Freckled Pool pushed herself into a sitting position and began to wash, trying to be quick but thorough. Halfway through washing her tail, she heard Shaded Moss's voice behind her.

"Freckled Pool? Why are you up so early?" He whined, flicking his ear.

Freckled Pool smiled at her friend. "Joint training session with the others. Can you wake up Bramble Talon for me?" 

She stood up as Shaded Moss nodded, and she prodded her brother, Dust Tail, with one paw.

"Come on, lazy butt," she meowed. "Up."

Dust Tail grumbled and rolled over. Freckled Pool sighed, leaned over, and nipped his ear. Dust Tail shot up with a yelp of surprise, and an apprentice on the other side of the den, who Freckled Pool assumed to be Bright Foot, called, "keep it down! Some of us are trying to sleep!"

"What was that for?" Dust Tail hissed under his breath as he sat up, flicking his ear. "You know my ears are sensitive, Freckled Pool!"

"I had to wake you up somehow," Freckled Pool replied, rolling her eyes. "We're doing a joint training session, and I think our mentors want to prepare us."

Dust Tail sighed and began to wash. "Who else is joining us?"

"Summer Rain, Bramble Talon, and Shaded Moss," Freckled Pool meowed. "And a few of the younger warriors. Maybe we'll get Sun Nettle in our training."

"Are you kidding? She's the best ever!"

The two purred together briefly, then Freckled Pool flicked her brother with her tail.

"Hurry up. I'm going to wake Summer Rain and then I'll meet you at the fern tunnel."

Dust Tail nodded and stood, slipping out of the den. Freckled Pool turned to see Summer Rain staring at Shaded Moss, who was persuading a hissing Bramble Talon to get up.

"Summer Rain, come on," Freckled Pool meowed, beckoning her littermate with one paw. Summer Rain looked up and got to his paws, padding to Freckled Pool's side. She licked his ear before heading out of the den herself, Summer Rain following. 

They emerged into the weak sunlight that seemed to light the tips of the trees in SwiftClan territory on fire. By the fern tunnel waited Dust Tail, chatting with two of the older kits in the nursery, Turtle Fin and Shivering Aspen.

"Where are you going?" Turtle Fin was asking as Freckled Pool approached.

"Me and a couple of the other apprentices are going training," Dust Tail replied, flicking his tail importantly. "It's a joint session, so we can show off our skills. Some of the younger warriors are joining us too."

Shivering Aspen bounced on his paws, and Freckled Pool couldn't help but let out a brief purr. The kits were so sweet.

"Can we come?" Shivering Aspen meowed excitedly, his eyes shining.