Chapter 2: Seb

It's good to be at the winners' post-race press conference again after missing out in the last two races. With my elbows propped up on the table, I rub the sweat out of my hair with both hands, waiting for the guy on my left answer a question for the assembled media. But I really don't care how Tobei Kojima managed to overtake a gaggle of really strong competitors in spite of dangerously worn tires to finish in third place. I'm still on the high of coming in first. It means I still have a shot at redemption. Today is all mine.

"For our final question, we'll turn it back over to our victor," the moderator says, looking at me. "So tell us, Seb. After such a successful season last year, how do you feel about having your first top-of-the-podium finish two-thirds into the current racing calendar, and more importantly, how does this sudden turnaround change your outlook for the remaining races?"

I place the Dunlop-branded black baseball cap back on my head before replying. "Yes, well it was not that sudden, Andy." With a chuckle, I address the balding man who's been part of the WRRF pressroom for as long as I can remember. Interlacing my fingers, I lean into the microphone in front of me. "For sure my team did a great job in making the best bike on the circuit. Unfortunately, it take me longer to improve my performance on it. But now I feel like we are finally at the same level, and there is nothing that can stop us from getting similar results in future races."

The answer is complete bullshit, but it's what my PR team wants me to say. It's also what the reporters need to hear. For anyone paying attention, the truth is easy enough to see. The bike has always been perfect; there have been no sudden improvements in the mechanics or engineering. My own lack of focus—whether from overconfidence, too much partying, or envy of the extra attention my teammate Austin had been getting—is the only reason for my earlier, poor results.

No doubt it's all on me, but whatever caused it, the curse has now been broken. Today, even in the thirty-two degree centigrade heat and eighty percent humidity, I'd shown hundreds of thousands of people watching in person and on television that Seb Bianchi is still one of the best. Although I'm only sixth in the overall rankings, the gap has narrowed.

"Thank you, Seb," Andy says. "If you can stick around for just a bit longer, we'll get Nigel Clark, team manager of Cadmium Racing out here to join you for a quick announcement. Tobei and Gareth, congratulations again and see you in Australia."

As the riders on either side of me leave the table to make room for my boss, I sit back and pull down the zipper at my neck a few centimeters. It doesn't help much with the mesh of my custom leather race suit sticking to every part of my body, but it does give me something to do while Nigel steps up on the platform and takes the spot on my right.

He's going to announce Austin's temporary replacement, but I'm just as clueless as the reporters who are also here waiting for the big reveal. Actually, some of them may know more than me. While the turnaround time was super fast and the details may not have even been finalized until today, there must have been rumors about who'd have the short-term spot with Cadmium 3Prix. I didn't bother to follow any of it. Motorcycle road racers don't have team orders to watch each other's backs or even help the priority rider win like in some other motorsports. We run our own races, so I don't have a stake in who will share my garage other than an obligatory photo-op for today's on-line announcements and tomorrow's newspapers.

"I know you need to get back to covering the other races, so I will make this as quick as possible," Nigel addresses the reporters. Shifting his focus, he looks straight into the video camera on the tripod in the center of the room. "First of all, I would like to thank the press for covering Austin Harris' unexpected hiatus as respectfully as you all have. Austin is currently at home with his family, getting the much-needed rest he needs to return to Cadmium at his full potential next winter, but until then, he sends his best wishes to everyone 'ere in the paddock."