Name

“Cannonball!”

That was a bad idea.

My mom slapped me, hard, when I resurfaced and gave me a glare that could mean no buying books for a month. Or a week, at most. I really hoped it would last for an hour.

The large square pool was rough and felt like a cliff smoothed down at the edges – not at all like the nice, smooth, shiny-tiled swimming pools you have in your backyard. That is, if you have a swimming pool in your backyard. The edge of the pool overlooked the sea, or, as I liked to call it, The Home that Never Sleeps. From some angle, it looked as though the two figures were connected, and how lovely it felt to be swimming in such a pool.

This resort was, by far, the best and most wonderful resort that I’ve ever been to. Providing that the amount wasn’t very much, you could decide for yourself about my experience in ‘resort-ing’. It reached out towards the middle of the sea, and was suspended above the sand on stilts, which were already plus points to me. The entire structure was shaped like a palm tree – if you were so rich that you had a helicopter you would be able to see that – the chalets being the palm tree’s leaves. Also, free bicycles were provided, so you could ride around on the seemingly never-ending roads whenever you felt like it.

The burning light bulb of fire dimmed noticeably, and soon only a soothing white glow was left in the sky. A twinkle of a xylophone caught my attention and I turned to see a band of four people, with their backs facing me, getting their instruments ready by the shallow end of the pool.

I dared to advance closer, and sat down on the steps, making a note to keep my body in the water as a gust of wind very nearly turned me into a popsicle. Different colored lights shot down onto the surface of the pool – orange, purple, red, and green.

“Someone please tell them not to shine those blasted things at our faces.”

My eyes were adverted from the lead singer and onto a boy – by the looks, he was my age, but who knows, right? He might be an immortal being in disguise – that was sitting by the steps too.

“You do know that the lights are meant for them,” I pointed to the four, “and not us.”

“It’s shooting directly at my face!” he hissed. At that moment, a yellow beam did what he’d muttered out. “See?

I shook my head and lay on my back, floating on the water. “Just close your eyes and enjoy the music.”

The band started playing ‘Someone Like You’ by Adele, the music reverberating through the sea winds.

“This song makes us sound like loners,” he commented, looking at me with his dark, black eyes, “sitting in a pool on Valentine’s Day.” The black hair that he had bended like reeds of tall grass in the strong wind.

“You’re so negative about life.”

“This song is negative about life.”

“I give up on you.”

“You have a good reason to.”

I lay there for until the song ended, then slowly stood up on my feet. It was weird to feel the Earth’s gravitational pull work on me again.

He sat up in alarm after I did so. “You’re leaving?”

I nodded, grabbing my towel and wrapping it around me. “I’d better. My parents would be worried.”

Climbing out after me, he extended his hand. “I guess I’ll see you around.”

I took it. “If you’re lucky enough.”