I Still Need You

Summary: Bucky tries to end his life. The reader has to give him a reason to live.

Word Count: 1,435

Warnings: tw: suicide, angst

--

Everyone thought Bucky Barnes was an intimidating man.

You had served in the military medical corps, and later joined SHIELD when the field became too much for you. You were trained to kill just as you were trained to heal. Not a lot scared you.

Especially not Bucky Barnes.

The minute Steve Rogers had walked in with this man two paces behind him, just as tall if not taller, broad shouldered and strong, eyes setting on everyone in an icy gaze, you felt your heartbeat halt for a second before starting up again. But that's as far as the fear in you went.

Bucky Barnes was anything but intimidating after that initial introduction.

Of course, from day one, Bucky had been nothing but kind. So what if he looked like he could rip a tank apart with his bare hands? He spoke softly enough, slowly enough, to make up for that. He mostly didn't talk, which was probably why people thought he was always planning to kill another person. But you had extended a hand of invitation to him immediately. You knew what it felt like to be completely and utterly traumatized. Your time in the field had been rough, and even though it was nothing compared to what he had been through, you could empathize well enough with him.

Bucky was as closed off as they could get, but the walls were slowly coming down. You still didn't know what was going on in his head. Still had no idea what dark thoughts he wallowed in everyday. But you were trying, and he could see that. Eventually, he would realize you wanted nothing but good for him.

But back to today.

You gaped at the screen of the quintet which showed the main lobby of your target building, taking in what you had just witnessed. Letting out a weird noise, you jumped up to grab a gun and rush out from the place, running to where you knew your friend was lying injured, bleeding, and not doing anything about it. Your mind reeled. It had just been three guys. Bucky could have easily taken them down if he wanted to. You could see clear as day that he let them shoot him. And on top of that, was now lying there doing nothing about the bullet in his stomach.

Finding him was easy. He was unconscious, but still breathing. Huffing, you used the small gadget Shuri gave you on her last visit for emergency situations like this.

Except this emergency could have easily been avoided.

Bucky had to have had his reasons for doing something this stupid. You tried to calm your anger, trying to think of an explanation. But of course, you came up empty. Bucky was a complex person, his thoughts were a maze that couldn't be solved. But complexity and stupidity were not related, last time you checked.

Huffing and puffing, you managed to get him into the jet, letting the others know he was badly injured. Steve then insisted you leave with him, get him to the compound. An argument ensued after that, until you gave in and complied. And so you took Bucky back to New York, mind still trying to think of a reasonable explanation.

Bucky came to the next morning, only to have you glaring holes into him be the first sight he saw. You made sure to display all your anger, wanting him to know just how idiotic he had been.

"What... the HELL.... was that?"

He didn't seem surprised or shocked or any emotion you expected. He looked.... sad? Frustrated?