How We Met

Prompt: "I can't believe we'll have to tell our kids how we met and that'll be the story."

Pairing: Bucky Barnes x reader

Word Count: 2,720

Warnings: Swearing.

--

Driving around aimlessly was one of Bucky's favorite things to do. Something about his bike revving under him, hands gripping the handlebars tightly, wind moving through his hair was so freeing, so relaxing, he couldn't get enough of it.

The bike usually stood in the huge garage in Stark Tower. Tony had bought the bike specifically from an old collector. It was a gift for Bucky's birthday that he had painstakingly obtained. A 1940s model fixed to perfection, one of the many rare vehicles still left in the world. Bucky had nearly cried when he first saw it. It was exactly like the one he had had before the War. It brought back so many memories, of a happier, simpler time that he missed with every fiber in his being.

Every weekend, Bucky would drive out into the city on his bike, letting the sounds of his surroundings wash over him. They set his muscles at ease, the tension that had built in them over the week gradually melted away under the soft caress of the passing wind. He wouldn't have a destination in mind. He would just let the bike carry him wherever it wanted to. It was the only time when his guard would be completely down.

As good as the summer breeze hitting his body felt, something about the ice cold wind of the winter prickling his skin was so much more refreshing, he could never get enough of it. He had been cold for too long. It failed to bother him anymore. Now, as it made contact with his skin, gradually turning it numb, Bucky couldn't help but feel alive.

He decided to stop after cruising around for a while, kicking down the stand to support the bike. He sighed and ran a hand through his wind swept hair, running a hand over his face to try and get feeling back into it. He had pulled over the side of a busy street. Looking around at his surroundings, he noticed a restaurant next to him and a gym across the road. There was a hardware store two blocks away, a cafe next to it. Bucky pursed his lips, wondering if he should get something for breakfast. He had been driving around since almost 7 in the morning. It was nearly 9.

Commotion and shouting from across the road made his ears perk up. He frowned when a woman came racing out onto the footpath from the side of the building. A man was following her, looking so angry he might rupture a vein in his head. His face had turned red from his fury, screaming profanities at the woman as he chased her. Bucky's eyes widened when the woman crossed the road without looking to check if it was clear, resulting in tyres screeching and a car honking. He was even more surprised when she ran straight towards him.

Bucky was still frozen as she threw herself on the bike behind him, hands jolting him as they gripped his shoulders.

"Drive, fucking drive!" She screamed in his ear. The man was still pursuing her. Bucky didn't think before he turned the bike on, engine roaring to life and hurtling the two of them, skidding down the road. Bucky tried to stabilize the vehicle, finally breathing when it started gliding smoothly over the concrete and gained speed.

Bucky was suddenly hyper aware of the woman on his bike behind him, breathing hard and hands still gripping hard on his shoulders. He was tense, turning to look at her slightly when the road was empty enough for it to be deemed safe.

"What the hell?" He exclaimed, only glancing at her briefly before turning to the road again.

"Just drive. I'll explain everything, I swear."

Bucky turned to a narrower, much quieter road, looking for a place he could park. "I hope you didn't do anything illegal."

She giggled then, mouth right next to his ear as she peered over his shoulder to see where he was going. The sound made Bucky's heart lurch just a bit. It was soft and happy, triumphant almost. Bucky suddenly became aware of her touch, her front against his back. The feeling made his face heat up slightly.