Chapter 9

The temperature of the water was perfect and I tried to relax, clinging to Jared like glue as we got lost in our own little conversation. Shannon stayed near the shallow end while Jared and I drifted off to the deep end. I was still in shock by Shannon's apology, but was thankful he decided to keep his distance today.

Eventually, he called out, asking Jared about our plans for the rest of the evening. Jared replied, stating we may possibly take a walk. I stared across the pool at Shannon leaning back against the steps with dark shades covering his eyes.

It hardly seemed fair that Jared had me over while his brother played the part of the third wheel. Obviously they were very close, but if it were my sister or Sara, I'd make sure they weren't alone. I was so curious about the girl he was with in the pool the other day. Was she his girlfriend? It sure seemed like they knew each other well enough. Maybe they broke up. Shannon was fucking different than Jared, he was mysterious, and he fit that bad boy image I seemed to be so attracted to. God, what was it about a bad boy, constantly making lewd comments that really got my attention? It was the bad boy in Jared that attracted me all those years ago. Of course, he was still just as sexy as he was ten years ago, but seemed more mellow and calm these days.

Facing Jared, I slipped my arm around his neck, but I couldn't stop the occasional glance at his older brother. Listening to Jared tell me about some things he had been working on and their upcoming tour, I stared into his blue eyes. I was drawn into them, instantly getting lost in memories of our previous times together. We had so much fun and I went through a severe depression after our breakup.

The conversation drifted from his work to mine, but at some point, settled on music. We both liked a little of everything and could talk for hours about how much we still had in common. Shannon got out of the pool and went inside, but Jared and I stayed in long after he was gone.

Jared moved closer, slipping his arm around my waist once we were alone. His hand moved under my hair, below my ear and grinned wildly as his thumb softly caressed my cheek. I could feel the warm blush creeping onto my face as my arms wrapped around his neck. I breathed in deeply as his lips delicately kissed mine, and before I knew what was happening, we moved to the shallow end of the pool, with me straddling his lap as he sat on the steps.

Jared's hands traveled from my hips, down to my ass, gripping tightly and pulling me over the growing bulge in his shorts. "You about ready to take this to my bedroom?" He whispered against my neck, softly kissing just under my ear.

"Yes." I hurriedly moved over, watching him get out. He picked up my towel and handed it to me. Wrapping it around my body, I dried off as best as I could before following him inside.

"You can change in my bedroom." He didn't have to show me the way, I remembered. I watched him turn around and exit, leaving the door slightly cracked. I was so busy glancing around his room and reminiscing, that by the time I pulled my top off, he was already coming back in. I jumped at the sound of the door opening.

"It's just me." He moved closer, pulling me to him. Parting my lips, his tongue slid across my bottom lip and pushed into my mouth. His palms moved over my taut nipples as he bit down on my lip. Lost in the feel of his hands on my body, I allowed him to back me to his bed. That kiss brought back a million memories in a split second. Laying back on the bed, he crawled on top of me, wearing only a pair of gray sweats, he pressed himself against me. His hand wandered down my hip, sliding over the front of my bikini bottom. The world around me blurred and my bottom lip quivered. I hooked a leg over the back of his.

Out the corner of my eye, I noticed Shannon walking past the open door, but stopped when he caught sight of what was happening between Jared and I. Stepping closer, he stared at us, just as Jared's hand slid under my jaw and turned my face toward his for another kiss. When the passionate kiss ended, I glanced up, but Shannon was gone.

Jared continued, pushing my bikini bottom down my legs, but before he could touch me, we were interrupted by the ringing of his phone. "Shit, I'm so sorry." I covered myself with his sheet when he got up to answer. Whatever was being said to him on the line didn't make him happy at all. I heard him say, "I'll be right there," and knew that our date was over.

He ended the call and looked back at me. "Carrie, I'm really sorry, but something happened and I need to go take care of it. I feel awful about this. Please don't leave, I won't be too long."

"It's fine, I understand. I have to go too, I have a few things to do at home. You can call me later." I covered myself, sliding out of his bed, staring out into the hallway through the crack in the door.

"I'm really sorry, Carrie." He apologized repeatedly, following me down the stairs. Shannon was sitting on the couch, flipping through a magazine. Flashing me that snide grin, he then focused on an article. Jared kissed and hugged me, promising to call me later. He thanked me for coming over and disappeared with his laptop.

"Have a good night." I offered, immediately gaining Shannon's attention as I walked toward the door.

"Let me walk you out." I could have died when he stood and followed me out the door. When we got to my car, he leaned against it, giving another of his picture perfect smiles. "Listen, don't take it personally that he got busy, he really does like you though." Shannon chewed on his gum as he said what he wanted to get off of his chest. "His job will always come first, that's just the way he is. Most women can't handle it and they end up breaking up with him. It's only fair you know what you're in for."

"And your job doesn't come first?" I asked, opening my car door, knowing that I had no business having this conversation with him.

He moved a little closer and shoved his hands in his pockets. "Let me put it to you this way, if I was inches away from being inside of you, hell no, I wouldn't have answered my phone, but that's just me. That fucking call would have waited." He raised his eyebrows as he turned to walk away, winking as he neared the door. I knew that my face reddened in embarrassment as I slid behind the wheel.