one

Rory Chilton was an old soul. Or at least that's what her mother always said. Rory never really understood what having an old soul meant, but her mother said it with such kindness that she never took it as a bad thing.

   Unfortunately having an old soul wasn't a good thing with the people her age and most of them just thought she was weird. She used to mind, but when she moved to Hawthorne, Pennsylvania she couldn't find herself caring. In fact, she fell in love with the quaint town and although she still didn't have friends her age she fit nicely with a small group of outcast kids. Especially Jamie Bennett and his little sister Sophie. Rory would babysit for their mother and they would have all kinds of adventures.

"Hey mom," she called out as she stepped inside her warm house shaking snow off her boots.

When she didn't get a reply she just shrugged and figured her mother wasn't home, but as she walked into the kitchen she could see her mom sitting at the kitchen table with her head in her hands.

Rory reached out hesitantly and put her hand on her moms shoulder. Her mom looked up and Rory could see that she had been crying, onto a letter which was set in front of her on the table.

"Oh hi sweetie...I didn't hear you walk in." her mom wiped the tears from her face before handing her the letter, "Here. You should read this."

Rory took the letter not knowing what to expect, but as she read through it her eyes were wide in confusion.

Dear Miss. Chilton,

We would like to inform you that you're ex-husband Terry Lornan has passed away. It was a hit and run car accident. We want to offer our condolences to you and your daughter. Despite not having contact with you he left something in his will and specified that it must be given to Rory. Here is the address and attached is a key. Everything is payed off and it is completely Rory's to decide what to do with it.

Sincerely,
Jordan Mathers

Rory has only met her father a few times and she had met Jordan once so she knew that Jordan was her fathers best friend. The last time she had seen her father was when she was 12. What exactly had he left her in his will?

Her mom was watching her carefully, not sure what reaction to expect. Rory wasn't even sure what reaction she should have. Should she feel sad that her father passed away? Her mother obviously was, but then again they were married for 7 years and together for 3 before that.

Rory swallowed thickly before asking,"Mom are you okay?"

Her mother nodded,"Yes I will be; it was just a sudden shock to read that. Do you know the building that he left you?"

Rory shook her head and went it sit down. Her legs felt like jelly and she wasn't sure that they could support her much longer. She was right. A moment later she collapsed down into the chair opposite her mom.

"Do...do you want to check it out? The building I mean?" her mother asked her curiously.

Rory thought about it for a second before nodding,"Yea. I want to see it."

As they got ready to go out in the cold weather again Rory couldn't help but feel like everything was going to change now.

(sorry this is short; it's just an intro chapter. the rest of the chapters will be longer)