Death is overrated

I woke up in my bedroom, the pink paint now peeling and fluttering to the floor. My posters had curled upwards and most lay in piles on the floor.

My bed had a broken leg and the white carpet was covered in mysterious stains. My belongings were scattered everywhere and a cold wind blew through the cracks of shattered windows.

"Hello? Is anyone there?" I yelled as I rose off the bed.

No one answered as the door creaked open on its own. I crept out from my room and noticed family photos hanging crookedly along the white walls. Many were photos of us on the beach laughing, reminding me happy times were long gone. I turned to face the staircase and started my descent.

The staircase creaked under my feet as the dark oak began to settle. As I entered the main hallway, I noticed the door wide open and gold-red leaves littered the floor. I nervously peered into the living room and my family was sitting there, sipping warm drinks.

"Mom? Dad? Tucker?" I asked, unsure of what was to come.

"Oh, hello sweetie! Why aren't you getting ready for school?" My mom asked confused.

"Mom, school doesn't exist anymore! Nothing does!" I said sobbing as I collapsed to the floor.

"What are you talking about honey, you need to get going," My dad said warmly.

"Am I dead?! This can't be real" I yelled.

My parents suddenly disappeared and I was all alone. The drinks fell to the floor and shattered, leaving a large puddle of coffee. I ran over to the couch and cuddled myself in a blanket. I continued to sob.

As I peered around the living room, a small radio flickered to life. It emitted a quiet buzz, faint voices chattering.

I got up and walked towards the radio, its buzzing growing louder. I adjusted the dials until the signal seemed clear enough to hear.

"Hazel," A masculine voice said.

"Her fever is spiking sir!" A monotone voice yelled out.

The room began to spin and I attempted to sit down but everything just went black.

I awoke in a hospital bed to the sounds of a heart monitor beeping loudly. A robot stood over me, its whirring sounds loud in my ear as it adjusts an IV.

"Hello, Mrs. Hazel! Your husband just checked you in and you will be better in no time!" It beeped happily, finally finishing its chores.

"My husband?" I asked confused.

"Yes! Mr. Jace, your best friend Evelyn is here as well! They checked you in after some sort of assault! They were most worried," It said sadly.

I wiped my eyes and sat up in the bed. I suddenly got a sharp pain in my back and laid back down.

"Be careful Mrs.Hazel! We simply cannot have you hurt yourself anymore! The painkillers shall kick in soon, please be still until then!" It commanded firmly.

I heard footsteps so I turned to the entrance, a shadow appeared as someone entered.

"Hey babe, I'm so glad you're awake," Jace said warmly as he approached my bed.

I smiled at him and he gave me a big hug. He wore a red varsity jacket with a blue pair of jeans, his white shoes completing the whole outfit.

He kissed me on the forehead and began to speak, "I was so worried Hazel after that girl stabbed you. We brought you to the hospital as fast as we could."

"How did you get me here so fast?" I asked noticing a nurse walking by.

"I hijacked a car in the parking garage across the street, I heard one of the guys mention the hospital and how it had become a settlement for many of the staff here. Once we arrived, A man rushed out to greet me and to check you out," He said in between kisses.