Chapter 4

When I woke up, I walked out of the guest room, the smell of bacon rushing at me, and down into the living room. Carac was in the kitchen making breakfast, so I stepped in beside him.

He looked at me and said, "Good you are awake. I was about to come and get you. I have something to show you, and, as soon as you eat, I will take you out to see it,"and turned back to his cooking.

Carac walked across the kitchen and grabbed plates out of the cupboard, came back, and started dishing breakfast. He handed me a plate and lead the way to the table, hidden in the back of the kitchen discreetly.

We ate in silence. I took the time to look around the kitchen. It was a small room with a oven, sink, and fridge on one side and light green cupboards and pantry. It was surprisingly homey and warm for a man like Carac.

"So, if I am going to be staying with you, maybe I should know more about you," I comment breaking the silence.

He stilled, looking up to meet my gaze with a fork full of food halfway to his mouth. Setting the fork down he shook his head.

"You will have plenty of time to get to know me and I you."

"What do you mean? I thought I was only staying until I get better."

"Than you thought wrong Princess. I already told you: it's not safe for you."

"Did you just call me Princess?"

"So what if I did?"

"HA! 'So what if I did,' he says. Have you ever seen how prissy and needy a princess is? I don't need anyone."

He snorts. "Looks like you needed me when you were at the mercy of those soldiers."

Ouch.

"I... I did not need your help. I had it under control." I stutter trying to come up with a good comeback.

He snorts again. This time it was apparent that he was trying not to laugh. "What were you going to do? Take his knees out? When I showed up, you looked like you accepted that you were going to die."

I stood up so fast my chair fell over. "Maybe that was exactly what I was going to do. I would have had them faster if that archer wasn't there."

"And if a frog had wings, he wouldn't bump his ass."

I gave him the most blank stare I could, daring him to say something else, and, when he didn't, I walked outside to get some air.

The morning was cool and refreshing. I took a deep breath to calm myself. The door opened and I felt Carac's hand on my shoulder. I grabbed his hand and spun around and threw a punch. His hand shot up and snatched mine an inch from his face. In the same movement, he turned me back around and pinned my arms at my sides.

"Let me go." I got out of my gritted teeth, "I'm not in the mood."

"Hey, look I'm sorry. I was just having some fun. A hundred years alone gets boring. Stop struggling and I will let you go." That just renewed my anger and the urge to be alone, so I did the natural thing any stubborn girl would do, I worked harder to get free.

"I said stop. You won't break free. Do you want to see what I got you or not?"

"Fine, but next time you make a joke like that I will punch you"

"I'd like to see you try," Carac snorted back.

Not wanting to get into another fight, I let his comment slide.

"Follow me."

"Would you not demand for once in your life and say please?"

He rolled his eyes, "Fine. Please follow me."