The Birthday

You sigh heavily as you watch your friends and family milling about, chatting pleasantly and enjoying each other's company. You sit alone off to the side, trying to take a breather. You wonder to yourself why it always happened this way, even at your own parties. Then again, you never much cared for being the center of attention, and that, on top of your normal low energy reserves, had left you feeling a bit worn out.

You spend the next half hour or so trying to be the good host, with people only briefly passing to say 'Happy Birthday' and move on, which you were somewhat grateful for. You felt lucky in the fact that you had friends who understood your energy issues, and were willing to give you time to yourself. Still, you were exhausted already, and couldn't wait for a moment to be able to get away.

Finally, you were summoned to be sung at, the usual ditty with the interchangeable name. As everyone gathers around and the candle is lit, the lights flick off. Everyone starts singing the age-old song, and you smile politely.

But something catches your eye: the candle. It was a single candle, unremarkable but for the flame, which was... bright blue. It was somewhat mesmerizing, and before you knew it, everyone was clapping and the song was over.

"Blow out the candle!"

"Make a wish!"

The candle flickers slightly, drawing your attention back to it. You close your eyes and think back to a time when you'd been really, truly happy, and blow the candle out with feeling. You open your eyes once again to cheers from your guests and smile once more. The cake is taken away to be cut and distributed, and you breath a sigh of relief, once more out of the spotlight.

You quietly slip away while everyone is busy with their sugary treat, stepping into the hallway and heading to your room. Just a couple minutes there and you'd be able to handle being around people again.

It's not that you disliked them, but you had so little energy everyday that your battery ran low quick in social situations, and you'd need to recharge a moment before re-engaging.

As you reach your door, you hear laughter float down the hall to you, thin and echoed. It sounded much further away than it should, and it made you pause a moment. Shaking your head and attributing it to a trick of the acoustics, you open the door and step inside, shutting it behind you and leaning on it, sighing heavily in relief.

You flick the light switch, and clap your hands over your mouth when it illuminates a huge, hulking figure standing near your bed, their back toward you.

A burgler? You think rapidly how to escape from this situation, when they turn around, and your hands fall limply at your sides. This was no burgler; this was...

"Hey there, kiddo; long time no see," the creature says, tusks shining in the light.

A sharp-toothed, crooked grin makes his dark eyes twinkle, and he tucks a loose hair behind his horns with a massive hand. He shifts his weight as you stare, his two-toed clawed feet sinking deep into the carpet. "Hey, I know it's been a while, but you remember me, right?" he says after a moment, tilting his head.

Still dumbfounded, you nod woodenly. His grin slips a bit as you continue to stand there, and his heavy brow wrinkles.

"Kid; you okay?"

You can't seem to move, and your fingers twitch a bit as your mind spins, trying to understand what was going on. This wasn't real; this couldn't be real. It's been years since your imaginary friend had gone, and now he was suddenly back? You slide down the door slowly, your legs folding underneath you, still staring at the massive creature in your room. Besides the obvious reasons of your confusion, another thought comes to mind...