Chapter 13b - Princely Hex Hangover

Jamus found his brother-in-law sprawled against the back of the lodge with a burly squire at either shoulder. His sapphire silks were in dusty disarray, and there was a nasty red swelling above his right temple, with a slight break in the skin. He held his head motionless, eyes barely open, as if he strove to placate a titanic headache.

"Ellentane," Jamus whispered. "As the last of your line, you ought to be more careful."

Ellentane smiled weakly. His voice was faint, as if speaking might aggravate his pain. "Lovely skermish. Pity you missed it."

Jamus dismissed the squires and produced a small leather box, which he set in Ellentane's lap. From it he removed a dark vial of Phyros blood. Ellentane sighed in relief as Jamus prepared it.

"What were you thinking?" Jamus muttered. "You were supposed to meet with me, not follow a brawl."

"Willard was here. Couldn't find the Ambassador." He gingerly indicated his swollen temple with a gloved finger. "He found me."

"If you had come to me instead of attacking, we'd have captured them. Sir Bannus is here, Ellentane. Here. Why did you abandon our plans?"

Ellentane groaned. "Hexed. I'd swear it. Doesn't make sense...." His hand trembled as he wiped the perspiration from his brow.

Jamus sighed. "Willard seems to have that effect on people these days," he murmured. "First your squire breaks rank and delays your pursuit, now you go after Willard in your dinner silks. I would think the Mad Moon full and risen, but it's only the Mother. Here," he said, holding the vial to Ellentane's lips. "Drink this." Jamus tipped the vial to Ellentane's lips, and he swallowed.

"Willard had help. A Cobalt, or a Sapphire."

"Surely you would know the difference."

Ellentane frowned. "I was too occupied at the time to compare my sleeve with his."

"Either way it was undoubtedly the same knight my grooms found in the bastard's apartment. The stable master claims this Sapphire is but a horse-touched half-wit in blue armor."

"The big girl? The one that broke Keeter's lance."

Jamus nodded. "There is only one Cobalt house that might have such a one. I suspect she could be Moss Isle's oddling daughter."

Ellentane chuckled. "The First Sword's sister? Oh that's rich."

"It would be rather awkward for the family, I should think, were it known."

Jamus studied the lump on Ellentane's head, which the Phyros blood had shrunk substantially, turning it from red to faint purple. "Feeling well enough to stand?"

"I think so."

Jamus helped him to his feet, and signaled to a young knight sorting the bodies. The youth joined him, face grim from his work, and slick with perspiration. He bowed. "Your Majesty?"

"Did you find the witch's stone?"

The young man stiffened, looking for a moment like he would make the sign of the heart as a ward against the Black Witch's spirit, but stopped himself as if to hide his discomfort from his prince. "I...searched him, Your Majesty. I didn't find it. And the squires scoured every cranny with torchlight, but still nothing."

"Hardly surprising," Ellentane said. "It probably goes back to its moon when the witch dies, wouldn't you think?"

This time the young knight made the sign of the heart without hesitation. "I should hope so, Your Majesty."

"Have Dilbury search the witch again, and I want you to personally search the yard again with torches. Look in barrels, dismantle wood piles. He may have hid it before he died, and we can't have it rolling about causing more trouble for us here. If we find it, contain it, and bring it to me so I may fling it in the river and be done with it."