2

After the Soldier left, Grace cleaned up her work space. Her boss didn't come, not yet at least. 
    She hoped he would come tomorrow, she was tired. It had been a very long day - she didn't have any energy for a deep conversation.
    Grace looked around her work space - clean and ready for the next day. It was 08:37 PM. Time to go home.
    Tired and satisfied of the day, she turned off the bright lights and walked out. Grace closed the door and took out her keys, ready to lock the door, take her bike and go home to...
    "Dr. Pierce."
   Grace reacted with a shock and turned. Her heart was pounding and sighed when she saw who it was. Nothing to worry about.
    "Mr. Pierce."
    Alexander Pierce walked towards her with a satisfied smile. Tight in the suit, as if the day had yet to start. Typical. Grace smiled at him and reached out.
    "How is my best doctor doing?" He shook her hand.
    Grace sighed. "It has been a very long but good day, thank you, Mr. Pierce."
    "Grace, when are you going out for dinner with your old father?" He raised a brow and Grace chuckled - no matter his age, he was still charming.
    "I don't have that much time." She wanted to. Of course she wanted to. He was her father - it had been such a long time since they went out for one night together. They had a lot to keep up.
    "Than make time." Oh, that sounded too simple and Grace knew it. Her father knew it.
    "I have patients. My schedule is very busy," Grace said strict and she raised a shoulder, "Sorry, but I don't think it will happen these days."
    Her father drew a pout. O, please, Grace thought. That won't work. He pointed his chin in the air.
    "Well, can't they do one evening without you?" Grace shook her head as she started walking. As much as her father wanted to take care of her, it wouldn't work. She was tired and needed a bath.
    "They're my patients. I can't leave them just like that." Her father laid his hand on her shoulder. He would not give up that easy. He was her boss, too - he could arrange something if he wanted to.
    And it was like he had read her mind.
    "I can arrange another doctor for a few evenings," her father suggested. Grace sniffed and pushed the button of the elevator.
    "That's not fair."
    "For who?" Oh, her father could sometimes be so stiff! She rolled her eyes and stepped in the elevator.
    "My patients, of course! You wouldn't like it either if you got a new doctor so sudden." The doors closed and her father sighed.
    "Just one night? Or in the afternoon?" Grace thought about it and fiddled with a loose leather strap from her bag.
    "I can't," was her simple answer.
    "Why are you so busy these days?" He looked at her with a frown in his forehead. Grace took a deep breath and looked at him.
    "A patient of mine needs extra treatments, so that's the reason," Grace explained. So, that was it. She raised her eyebrows.
    "Oh," was her fathers reaction, a bit surprised, "Who?"
    "The New Iron Fist of HYDRA." Grace looked up at him once again and slowly the doors of the elevator slid open. Immediately she stepped out. She knew her father wanted to talk, but she was so tired. She needed some rest and quick.
    "Winter Soldier? I thought he never needed anything?" asked her father and Grace felt ice sliding over her tongue - she needed to keep her anger in. She didn't like it when her father was so naive. Yes, he was an extraordinary soldier, but also a human. Her father clearly didn't see that.
    "Yes," Grace said stiff, "That's him."
    "What's wrong with him?" Her father was way too curious and Grace rolled with her eyes again. She sighed.
    "I'm sorry, father, but that's private information which I do not share with anyone but my patients." She gave him a unmoved look.
    He nodded. "That's alright, darling," he said. Grace put on her coat and looked outside. It was dark and cold. She couldn't wait to be home and lay down on her couch.
    "See you later, father," Grace said and she kissed him on the cheek. He smiled at her.
    "Yes, honey, tell me if there's anything I can do for you," he said with a wink. She knew exactly what he meant. But it was not going to happen. She wouldn't abandon her patients just like that.
    "That won't be necessary, dad," Grace said and she opened the door with her pass. "I can handle things very good on my own."

                               - - -

Grace got on her mountain bike and cycled to her apartment at a rapid time. She was exhausted and needed to do a lot of stuff for the next week and the next morning.
    But first; she needed a relaxing bath.
    Her apartment was amazing. With high walls and great windows to see the city that never slept.
    Her home was so different than her work space. It was full of colours and art. The walls had different, pastel colours; yellow, blue, pink and green. The paintings looked like a rainbow had sneezed on the white cloth.
    Her couch was dark blue, bouquets of flowers were standing on several places and Grace sighed happily. She loved her apartment, it made her feel good.
    And then the one million dollar question: what was she going to eat? It was late and the supermarkets were closed and she didn't have that much food in her fridge.
    She didn't want to get fast food or anything - Grace liked it, but not every evening.
    It would be a microwave meal. It was better than nothing and she sighed. With a frown she took it out the fridge and put it in the microwave. Five minutes. Grace looked around and felt so tired. But yet there was so much work to do for the Fist.
    Grace sat down the high kitchen table and started to make a schedule and spitting through papers.
After she ate her meal and was done with everything she needed to do for the next morning, it was already 11:17 PM.
    It was enough for today. Grace walked upstairs, almost asleep. Whatever, she would skip the bath. The meal tasted fine, but she felt sick afterwards. It wasn't healthy too.
    She took a deep breath and prepared herself to the night. And the next morning.