Chapter 1

Mary entered the school, her mind memorizing the math facts she needed to know before the test that day. She walked to her locker and grabbed her notebooks. Mary's friend, William, walked over to her, "Hey, Mary!" William exclaimed. "Oh, hi Willy!" Mary joked, ruffling his hair. Will glared at her, "It's Will, not Willy, you can stop calling me that." Mary huffed, "Fine, what's up?" She glanced down the halls quickly, then looked back at Will. "Nothing, just busy," he replied, glancing at the wall. Mary looked skeptical, then sighed, "Okay then." 

The bell rang, Mary and William walked to math class. "Sit down class!" The teacher with the green shirt and blue pants commanded. His name was Baldi, but the class called him Mr. Baldi. Mary and Will sat down with the class, and Baldi handed out their math tests. Mary shuffled nervously, then took her pencil in her hand, "The tests begin now, we have until the next class." Baldi said, sitting at his desk. Mary did some of the simple questions first to get them out of the way, simple as in two plus two simple.

William did some of the more harder questions, like nine divided by seven. Mary almost finished, but then she saw the hard question. The numbers on the two's papers made them shake, as the numbers were jumbled up, and they didn't know what it was.

They noticed that they weren't the only ones afraid, as the class was afraid. The atmosphere changed, and turned cold. Mary made a guess, and a bad one. She put down "one." Baldi looked up at her, glaring, and everyone looked at her. William mouthed, "Run," making Baldi and her get up. Mary ran out of the class and down the halls, her heart raced. She started hearing Baldi's ruler, and she ran faster. 

Soon enough, after fast walking down the halls, William found her, "I answered wrong too," he said, his breath shaky. Mary stayed silent, but then the lights went out. 

"Uh-oh.." They said quietly in unison.