Chapter 4

I wrote him a relatively long letter. Longer than l ever written ever since we started exchanging letters. I was desperate. I needed him to at least know of my feelings even if he did not feel the same way. This was all just in case l got chosen as tribute. If that happened, l couldn't fight against it. It was an imperial decree from Emperor Uncle.

Dear Hu ge,

It's been about four to five months since the last letter you sent and l have been too busy to reply. I'm sure you already know of the Imperial decree and the fact that five noble women have to picked as tribute. I know you will undoutedbly save that Yu girl and l want you to save me too. I know l might not have the same position as her in your heart but we have been childhood friends since l was 5. Based on these affections, could you possibly persuade your father to plead for me in court. It is impossible what l am asking but even the fact that you tried will be comforting for me. If l do get picked, l hope you never forget this meimei of yours. You probably know this already, but l like you. I liked you from the moment you saved me from getting lost. It broke my heart to see that you did not like me too but that doesn't matter anymore. I hope you continue to be in good health.

With love and deepest regrets,

Bai Meihua 

After writing this letter, l turned and motioned for Gu Yue to come forward. "Take this letter to the body guard outside and tell him to send it to the Chen mansion. He must do it covertly! No one must know the contents!"

"Nubi will take the letter now." Standing up, l watched until the maidservant left and then turned to a secret chest l had buried right under other chests. It was stealthily hidden so that no one could see it and only l had the key to open it. In there, l had a few flashy bangles and outer robes that l could wear to enhance my 'poor' outfit. I know my mother wanted me to act in a mad way for my protection but l cannot bear it. I'd rather just go to the barbarians. Who knows? Maybe l might have a better life there if l seduce a high ranking official.

I sighed and shook my head. 'Who am l kidding? Seduce? I'll just be a lowly concubine for some warrior. I also want to fight against this but what is the point? The person l love does not even like me.'

I took out the robes and a sewing kit and started altering it to my current height, not forgetting to embroider a few magnificent creatures with some silver thread. By the time l had started all of this, GuYue had come back. She saw what l was doing and sat down to help. She didn't ask me or question my actions but instead, supported me. Looking at her actions, l smiled slightly. 'At least, she is here with me. It is not so bad.'

We sat on the floor like that, patiently sowing threads in and out and it was an extremely peaceful time. My anxiety was also quelled and l felt calm wash over me. 

Then a maid servant burst in and shouted: "Young Miss! Come and receive the imperial edict! It has arrived and the Master is assembling all his family at the main hall." GuYue looked at me and then replied: "We shall be there soon. Young Miss needs to dress up." I was lost for words. It seems that my fears had caught up with me too soon.

I stood up and said coldly: "Dress me." Since l was princess, why couldn't l be arrogant to the bones? Enough of weakness. Gu Yue scrambled for a green inner robe and dressed me. Then she added the silver outer robe we had just embroidered on the top. Then she inserted a silver hairpin into my hair and gave me a green shawl. Elegantly dressed, l sashayed out of my courtyard confidently with my maids in tow.

Once we arrived at the main hall, l saw my entire family kneeling down so l too knelt down farther away from the eunuch. I still firmly believed that as Di daughter, there is absolutely no way l would be picked as a tribute girl. The eunuch sharply looked at me as if berating me for my lateness before reading the decree. "His Majesty The Emperor gives decree for Bai Meihua, daughter of the Fourth Imperial Prince to enter the palace and learn etiquette as a tribute woman. She shall not be accompanied by anyone else except her personal maid." We all bowed and said: "Thanking the Emperor for his kindness."

Once the formalities were done away with, l collapsed on the floor in shock. Even though l knew l could be chosen, it was only an 'if'. Now, it was reality. I sat on the ground in a daze before l felt arms wrapping around me: "My daughter! My poor daughter!" My mother wailed and this hurt my heart deeply. I couldn't help but resent the Emperor a bit. If He was so mighty, why did he need to send tributes? And an Imperial princess at that? Didn't he know l would be mistreated?

"Muhou, l'm fine. Everything will be fine. Since it is an imperial decree, l have to go!" But my mother shook her head, very unwilling to let me go.

"No! Hua'er, you can't leave. You'll die!" But l patted her back in reassurance. "Mother, don't worry. Your daughter is a sensible child. I can't put the whole family in jeopardy because of my own selfishness. I will come and visit as much as l can before l go away as tribute."

I turned to Gu Yue: "Tell my mother's personal maid to come to me after dinner. I have something to tell her."

Slowly, l guided my mother away from the hall, and to her own courtyard before going to my own.