hey 🧸

so I really just want to say something.

my school did this thing called challenge day. I obviously signed up (pizza and missing school for a day). I thought it would be this amazing experience.

When I first walked in today, teachers were lined up high giving all the kids and then we sat down in a circle. we did this fun activity and then had a bathroom break. next we played volleyball with a large ball and it was super fun.

then a dance party, and then things got real. we listened to the organizer's childhood and family life (I started tearing up) and then to the other organizers childhood (close to sobbing). After that we separated into groups or "families" with people we never talk to.

Our job was to share our insecurities, problems, family life etc. (I was sobbing at this point) then we had a pizza break and everyone was happy and smiling again. but that didn't last long.

next we stood on a line. the girl said "cross the line if..." and would fill in the sentence. one of them was "cross the line if you've been teased or bullied" basically everyone crossed that line.

then it got much deeper into racism things and homophobia. one of my friends crossed the line and it was a topic I never knew about her. it was so empowering. I gave like 50 hugs that day to people I had no clue even existed. I balled my eyes out and offered my support to my friends and people I didn't know. we had one last break to go to another person and just hug for a minute.

I went to one of my friends we hugged and just cried into each other's shoulders. we wrote letters to our loved ones who may have passed away or are still with us. we shared how challenge day effected us. we shared with people we didn't even know.

all thanks to challenge day.

now if you're school is doing this I encourage you to PLEASE sign up for it. most of my friends didn't and then wished they had so please do it. and if you do, just know to bring tissues and know that you are participating in an amazing thing.

you guys probably don't care but it was so empowering and eye opening. I'm crying while typing this because I'm remembering what happened today.

ok I just wanted to say that because I felt like it needed to be said.

also shoutout to my friends 🤠 y'all are the best for supporting me !

-alex ❤️