29- I Am Testifying

“How does this look?”

“It looks nice.”

I sigh in irritation. “You said that about the last three outfits. You can’t just say that they all look nice.”

Benson laughs from where he’s sitting on the edge of my bed. “I’m sorry, I think that it all looks good on you.”

“Lexi,” I whine, turning to face my best friend, who is deep in my closet as she searches for outfits that might work for tomorrow. “Please tell me that this one looks okay.”

She pokes her head out the door to appraise the dress that I’m wearing. “Too short. Especially when you’re going to be sitting down and then standing up and sitting down a lot.”

“Okay then,” I mumble as I start to strip off the dress. At first, I’d go into the closet to change but with Lexi in there searching for more outfits, it’s cramped so just getting dressed out here is way more efficient and it’s not like Benson hasn’t seen me in my underwear before. It’s been three weeks since we started officially dating but we still haven’t had sex as a couple yet. I’m trying to take things slow but it’s not like he makes that particularly easy, being all hot and whatnot, I’m just glad that he’s patient with me, not pressuring it to happen or anything. “Find anything else?”

“Yeah, this shirt. What if you wear this shirt with the pants from the second outfit?” Lexi suggests as she tosses me a light pink blouse with thin straps to hang on my shoulders.

“And the necklace from the first outfit,” I add as I grab the black winged necklace from my dresser after I slip the shirt on and grab the business-like black flared pants from the ground where I tossed them after it took them off earlier. I don’t put them on, I just hold them up to my hips to see what the outfit would look like and then I turn to my boyfriend even though I know what he’s going to say. “What about this one? Be completely honest and do not use the word ‘nice’.”

“It looks really good, babe,” He assures me. “I really like that one.”

“Are you just saying that because you’re tired of looking at outfits or are you being incredibly honest?” I wonder with my hands on my hips.

“Be nice to your boyfriend,” Lexi jokes. “I think that one looks really good too.”

I let out a shaky sigh and look at the outfit my full body mirror. “Do you think the judge will take pity on me in this outfit?”

“After what’s happened to you, Vi, the judge better take pity on you even of you show up in a freaking parka,” Lexi informs me as she helps me pick up all of the discarded clothes from the ground. Tomorrow is the day of court when I will have to testify. I went to the trial this morning but it was only opening statements and boring legal stuff and I was just in the audience. However, tomorrow, I have to actually testify and to say that I’m nervous would be an understatement. 

“Why are you so worried, Vi?” Benson wonders as I pull off the blouse and hang it up for tomorrow and then I get dressed in yoga shorts and a tank top so I’m not just walking around in my underwear. “You’ll do just fine tomorrow.”

“They’re going to try and make it seem like it was my fault,” I mumble, sitting down on the bed beside him. The closet is put back in order now and Lexi sits down on the other side of me so I don’t make any coupley gestures towards Benson because I don’t want to make Lexi feel like a third wheel here. “I can’t look slutty at all or the jury might start to believe that I wanted it or something, I don’t know.”

“No jury will ever believe that,” Lexi assures me.

“She’s right,” Benson nods. “Everything will be fine. You’ve been over everything with your dad and you know what to expect so just stay calm and everything. You’ll do awesome and then Sam’ll go to jail for a really long time.”