Epilogue

June 16th, 2015

Two women, one Latina and one black, lock their fingers together and hold a sign. They are adorned in a flurry of rainbows, declaring themselves and their victory at a downtown parade. They are celebrating justice, celebrating humanity, celebrating progress.

The black woman, a Francine who goes by Franny, is the great granddaughter of two women torn apart by war. They moved to America, miraculously found each other, and spent the rest of their lives together.

Margot's husband, a closeted gay man, had quickly divorced her and taken on his own life of love and exploration as soon as she reconnected with Francine. After moving back in together, they circumvented every rule they could and adopted two black daughters. They raised them to be loving and strong against the adversity they faced.

These women, recently dead, had married in their fifties when it became legal in their state.

Now, their granddaughters are celebrating the marriage rights of their community - their family - without shame or fear. They have been married for over a year now, but others have not been so lucky.

After a day of parading, of joy and tears, they pay a special visit to a cemetery. Franny's namesake died just hours after her wife, so they share one grave and one stone.

They place a bouquet in the grass beneath the plaque, a cheesy bunch full of rainbow-dyed daisies.

Francine rests her head on her wife's shoulder as they read in solemn silence:

'These women shared a love experienced by few - a love that seemed against the world. Despite the trials they endured to be together, here they lie as one.'