9. Memories and Brainwashing

After the three S.H.I.E.L.D. Agents quickly explained everything to Hill, she got them out of the van. She took their handcuffs off and brought them to another van which she drove to an abandoned dam in the woods. Natasha held a cloth to her wound, putting pressure on it. Sam helped Natasha out of the van and the group walked in as a doctor ran in their direction.

"GSW," Agent Hill said, "she's lost at least a pint."

"Maybe two," Sam said.

"Let me take her," the doctor said referring to Natasha.

"She'll want to see him first," Hill said. They got to an area that had plastic curtains. Maria moved them revealing a living Nick Fury lying in a hospital bed. A heart monitor was hooked up.

"About damn time," Nick said.

The doctor took care of Natasha's wound while the others were either standing or sitting around Fury. Natasha sat in a chair while the doctor held a cloth to her wound keeping pressure on it to prevent bleeding. Jessie sat in a chair looking at Bucky's dog-tags in her hand.

"It was him," she whispered to herself.

"Lasserted spinal column," Nick began to say. Jessie looked at him. "Cracked sternum. Shattered collar bone. Perforated liver. One hell of a headache."

"Don't forget your collapsed lung," the doctor said.

"Well, let's not forget that. But otherwise. I'm good."

"They cut you open," Natasha said. "Your heart stopped."

"Get to the Toxin B. Slows the pulse to one beat a minute. Banner developed it for stress. Didn't work so well for him, but we found a use for it."

"Why all the secrecy?" Steve asked. "Why not just tell us?"

"Any attempt on the directors life had to look successful," Agent Hill spoke.

"Can't kill you if you're already dead," Nick said. "Besides. I wasn't sure who to trust."

At a secret Hydra base in the city, the Winter Soldier was having his arm being repaired after Jessie had damaged it. He began to remember who he was in the past, becoming unstable. He remembered Zola finding him in the mountains.

"Sergeant Barnes."

He remembered falling off of the train and hearing Steve yell his name.

"Bucky! No!"

He remembered seeing the Russian unit of Zola's men. He remembered them dragging him in the snow. He also remembered when Zola amputated his arm and replaced it with the metal one.

"The procedure has already started. You are to be the new fist of Hydra."

He remembered being frozen after every mission.

"Put him on ice."

These memories triggered him to remember who he really was. He pushed the scientist working on his arm off to the side. The S.H.I.E.L.D. Agents in the room pointed their guns at him. He stayed where he was staring straight ahead of him. Alexander Pierce walked to the room where the Winter Soldier was.

"Sir, he's unstable," a man explained. A man opened the door, letting Pierce in. He motioned for the men to put their guns down. Bucky was staring off into space as he remembered his past. He remembered Jessie, but couldn't put a name to the face.

"Mission report," Pierce ordered. Bucky didn't answer. "Mission report, now." Bucky stayed silent looking straight ahead. Pierce back hand slapped Bucky, pulling him out of his trance.

"The woman on the bridge," Bucky said looking to Pierce. "Who was she?"

"You met her earlier this week on another assignment. Along with the man she was with."

"I know her."

"Your work has been a gift to mankind. You shaped the century. And I need you to do it one more time. The side is at a tipping point between order and chaos. Tomorrow morning we're going to give it a push. But if you don't do your part, I can't do mine. And Hydra can't give the world the freedom it deserves." Bucky seemed to have tears in his eyes. He held them back as best he could.

"But I knew her." Bucky swallowed the sick feeling he got from the tears forming in his eyes. Pierce stood up, pulling a picture out from his jacket.

"Is this the woman you speak of?" Bucky looked at the picture and saw Jessie. It was the same picture from her S.H.I.E.L.D. file. He slowly nodded. "Her name is Jessica Evans. The man who was with her is Steven Rogers. But it seems you only care about the woman. Your mission is not to develop feelings for her, Soldier. Your mission is to get rid of her along with Rogers." Pierce ripped the picture in half in front of Bucky. "Prep him."

"He's been out of cryo-freeze too long," a man said.

"Then wipe him, and start over." The men walked over to Bucky, pushing him back. One put what seemed to be a hockey puck, but smaller, in his mouth. The other man pressed a button which locked the arm cuffs. Bucky began to breath heavily. He seemed scared of what came next. A device that had electricity appear came down over his face, erasing his memory. Everyone was silent. The only thing that could be heard was Bucky's screams of pain.