Chapter Three

"Hey," I heard a deep voice call through my sleep-fogged mind. 

"Hey, I think it's time for us to get up," the voice continued, and I groan. 

I snuggled into the furry warmth I was lying on, which rumbled gently at my movement. I force my eyes open, blinking away the fog, and looked around to see Djakk smiling from beneath me. I blink twice more before sitting up with a start. He chuckles and gently pats my back. 

"Sorry to wake you, but I just couldn't leave you after last night. Really didn't want you to freeze. But I can't start breakfast until you get off me."

"I-I... yes," I stuttered, and Djakk tilted his head as he looked up at me. 

I curled my hands into fists in my nervousness, gripping his fur, and that familiar rumble came from his chest again as his eyes fluttered a moment.

Oh.

I hastily dismounted my Yeti hero and sat on the edge of the bed, my face burning and heart hammering loudly. Djakk sat upright and draped one of the many available blankets over me, rubbing my shoulders.

"Sorry if I held you hostage in the night," he said as he hopped out of bed. His muscles shifted visibly as he stretched with a yawn that displayed those tiger-like teeth of his. 

"Didn't want to let you go after you fell asleep," he continued, but I see him twitch before adding: "You know, b-because you would freeze again." 

I stared for a moment before nodding, certain my voice wouldn't work properly if I tried to speak. He grinned sheepishly for a moment before picking up one of the shirts that had been flung out of the chest during his mad scramble for more blankets. As he slipped it on, I felt a vague wave of disappointment wash over me, and blink for a moment at the feeling. 

What on earth was I thinking?

"Thank you for saving me... again," I said as he quickly picked up all the other clothes and tossed them back into the chest. He grinned his crooked grin again, and chuckled.

"No problem. I seem to be making a habit of it, don't I?" He winked at me, making me blush again as he looked around for a moment. "Alright, If you'll be okay for a few minutes, I'll go and make some food for us before we get planning for this adventure of yours." 

I nodded again, and his grin widened a bit before he stepped into the other room. Once he was out of sight, I sighed and collapsed back onto the bed.

What were these sensations I had every time he smiled at me? I thought back on his words last night, but the meaning still eluded me; what had he been trying to say? I groan in frustration and curl into a ball under the blankets. This trip was --had already become-- much more than I'd ever expected.

"You okay in here?" Djakk said from nearby, and I jump under my blanket nest. 

He gently excavated the layers until he found my face, and grinned that heart-pounding grin. 

"Just wanted to let you know that your clothes are completely dry and you can get dressed whenever you'd like," he said, holding up a hand stacked with neatly folded garments.

"Th-thank you," I replied, blushing as he sat them near me on the bed. He patted the blanket pile as he turned away and stepped back into the kitchen.

"There's no rush on that," he called back to me as I sat up. "I think you look really cute in that great big shirt--" he suddenly broke off, trailing into that strange language again. 

I blink, my face growing so hot I could only guess what shade of red I was. I took a few breaths before I respond, trying to steady myself.

"Everything alright in there?" I call, and I hear Djakk clear his throat a few times before replying.