Prologue

My name is Charlotte Weathers, but I go by Charlie. My twin brother and I had recently moved back to Beacon Hills due to hunters killing everyone in our family. The Weathers family were all werewolves and were very close with the Hale's, and on our parents will it was said that if something happened to them, we would be sent to live with the Hale's. So here we are; in my old, blue Ford truck; driving into the suburb of Beacon Hills, where nothing fun ever happens.

As my truck's headlights shine onto the faded Beacon Hills sign; that is on the side of the road; I turn to my brother who is sitting in the passenger seat next to me. His eyes are on his phone, the bright light making his facial features visible. He has dark brown hair and sweet brown eyes, much like my own.

"Are you ready for hell?" I say, sarcastically, before focusing back on the road. When I hear no answer from him I glance back at him. "Hello? Earth to Grayson."

He grunts an answer, not taking his eyes off his phone. He's texting someone, his ex-girlfriend to be exact. She dumped him like two weeks ago because she said she liked someone else. Ever since then, Grayson has been trying to get her back with non-stop texting. It hasn't been working, but he doesn't understand it. He doesn't understand that he is way too good for her and she should be the one chasing after him, not the other way around.

"Gray, come on..." I say, sadly. "You need to forget about her, she's not worth it."

"But I love her," he mumbles, turning off his phone and looking out the window into the darkness. "She's my everything."

"You have to put it in the past, it's her loss," I say, encouragingly. "There are so many more fish in the sea."

Grayson shakes his head, laughing. "I think you mean 'girls in the world', unless you're calling yourself a fish..." he laughs. "Because in that case, I would agree."

"Hey, that's not fair. We look very alike, so that'd mean you were a fish too."

"Whatever you say, Charlie."

Suddenly, a boy comes out onto the road in front of us and I have to jolt the car away to avoid him. Grayson bumps his head on the window in the process. "Ouch, what the hell was that idiot doing."

"I don't know, should we go back and make sure everything's cool?"

"No, don't do that," Grayson says, tiredly. "I just want to get to Derek's house and go to sleep."

I nod and continue driving ahead. Soon we arrive at the old Hale house, where Derek was currently living. I pull into the driveway and we hop out of my truck, grabbing our suitcases. I am only now feeling tired and am just about ready to sleep. Grayson knocks on the door and Derek opens it right away. "Welcome, Gray and Charlie. Lovely to see you guys again," Derek says, as we give him a tight hug. "I am so sorry about your family, I know exactly how you feel."

"Thanks Derek," I say, looking at the floor. "And thank you for letting us stay here."

"It's no problem at all," Derek says, shrugging his shoulders. "Come on in and make yourselves feel at home."

We go inside and Derek leads us up the creaky, wooden stairs and to our rooms. The fire that happened seven years ago has made the interior look very old and dusty. Grayson and I have separate rooms but they are next to each other. We have single beds that match our relationship status. Although dust and debris covers most of the furniture, it's the closest thing we have to a home.

I place my suitcase on the wooden chair next to my bed, and rummage through, trying to find my pajamas so I can go to sleep. It takes a while, but I finally find them and quickly put them on before climbing into bed. The bed is comfy and cozy, despite the fact that it smells like burnt debris.

I hear a tap on my doorframe and see Grayson standing there. I smile at him and he comes and sits on my bed. "We'll be okay, you know that right?" He says, kissing my forehead. I nod and smile, a tear rolling down my cheek. The death of our parents is still so recent. Grayson takes my hand in one of his and places his other on my cheek; wiping away the tear. "Hey, look at me." He says gently and I look up at him. "We are going to be okay, Charlie, I will be there for you no matter what."

I smile at him, nodding. "Thanks, Gray. I'll be there for you too, always." He gives me another kiss on the forehead, before letting go of my hand and proceeding to walk back to his room. "Wait, can u sleep here tonight?"

Grayson turns around, with a happy smile on his face. "I thought you'd never ask." I move over in my bed and he comes and lays beside me. "Goodnight, Char." He says and soon we both fall asleep peacefully.