Chapter 1

The weather was pleasant. Funny how this was the only thing that could come to Korra’s mind. Perhaps she really was incompetent. Perhaps she was as stupid as the equalists claimed her to be. Stupid and ignorant. Or maybe this was the only thing that she could think of that wasn’t negative. Her whole life had been destroyed; Beaten into the dust. Her friends were defeated and so was she. Her entire cause, what she stood for, was crumbling before her. Her identity as the Avatar was squandered. Her job was to ensure peace between benders and non-benders and she failed that. In a few minutes, she would no longer be the Avatar. Her bending was going to be taken away from her and there was nothing she could do about it. Everyone who was ever on her side had been captured. The equalists had won. Amon had won.

Korra thought about how this all came to be. How she came to be where she was right now. On her knees, her hands tied behind her back. In only a year, the equalists had taken over the city. They had always been just one step ahead of them. One technological advancement ahead. They had the numbers, the equipment and the brains. It should have been clear that they were fighting a lost battle.

Behind her, Mako, Bolin, Tenzin and the children were all tied up; their bending all taken away. Korra had tried to scream and fight to save them but it was all in vain. She felt humiliated that she was so weak. What made everything worse was that Amon had done things his style, in front of a huge audience. There were on a raised platform in the square outside the council office, now covered in equalist flags.

At the moment, Amon was delivering a speech about the war and how easy it had been to defeat the Avatar. At the beginning of the rally there had been quite a number of ‘boo’s in the audience. Chi blockers were quick to deal with them, though. Korra had no idea where they were taken but she hoped that nothing severe happened to them. She should know her hope was futile.

Amon began to wrap up his speech and Korra bit her lip. A tear began to well in her eye as the moment finally grew closer. Strong, rough arms pulled her up from the ground and she stood up tentatively. They pushed her and she stumbled forward, tripping and landing once more on her knees.

She lowered her head, not wanting to see the look on the faces of those in the crowd. She could hear them though; their hissing and the insults being thrown at her. She could hear them berating her and calling her names. Names she thought were befitting of a failure like herself.

Amon stood behind her. She could feel his presence behind her and she shivered. Inwardly, Korra cursed herself for letting her fear show so easily. His breath tickled her ear as he bent behind her to whisper into her ear. “I told you I would save you for last, Avatar.”

Korra was surprised by the spitfire within herself. “You’re a monster!”  She spat at him.

He chuckled. “Am I really any more of a monster than you?”

Before she could reply, his voice bellowed behind her as he addressed the audience.

“The Avatar, the main suppressor of non-benders is about to be equalized.”

With that, his hand came to rest upon her forehead . Korra’s eyes dilated in fear.

Before she could cry out, it happened. His hand was gone and her world began to spin. She fell, face first to the ground. Before she could completely pass out, she heard a thud behind her as well. She could barely see the colours of Amon’s mask on the floor before she blacked out.

                                                                                  ***

 Strange things happen in this world. No one is ever black and white, good or evil. Fate can be cruel. Sometimes fate and the will of the spirits collide. It is rare but when such an occurrence comes to be, the spirits will do anything to have things their way.

 133ASC

“When is your sister going to be here?”

“She’s coming. Would ya’ relax, Toph?”

“I’m sorry but that’s a little difficult given the current circumstances.”

“Guys…”

“Aang don’t talk. Save your strength. Katara’s on her way.”

“Sokka…”

“Shush, Twinkletoes. If you want to make it out of this alive do what Sokka said and just be quiet.”

“Thank god, here she is.”

“Katara, come quick!”

“What happened? Why’d I have to rush her, the kids are all by themselves… Oh god. What happened?”

“We don’t know. Aang just collapsed. Toph says his pulse is weak.”

“Let me see.”

“Katara… I’m not going to make it.”

“Don’t speak like that, Aang. Come on. You can do this. We can do this, like we always have. Remember, it’s you and me, always.”

“The Avatar, make sure the new Avatar is safe.”

“I will but we don’t have to worry about that for a while now.”

“Katara, I love you.”

“Aang, try and stay awake, for me. P-please. Why is this happening to him?!”

“T-twinkletoes?”

“Aang.”

“I…”

“No Aang. You can’t. You’re too young for this. You’re not supposed to die.”

“I love you.”

“… Aang? AANG! NO!”

133ASC  - The Northern Water Tribe

“Just a little more, Senna.”

“UGH. I’M TRYING TONRAQ, I AM.”

“I know you are darling and you’re so close. Just a little more.”

“UHHGGAARRGHH”

“Wahh!”

“See, you did it and boy is it a loud one.”

“Tonraq… what is it?”

“It’s a girl, Senna. We have a new baby girl.”

“Let me hold her.”

“Here.”

“What do you want to name her?”

“Well I was thinking and no matter what, the name Korra kept coming to mind.”

“Korra is a beautiful name.”

“So Korra it is.”

“Our new baby girl, Korra.”