Good Co-Parenting

Avielle POV-

"So how was it? Give me all the teas." My childhood friend Porsha, whom I hadn't seen in forever said laying across my bed eating ice-cream.

We had lost touch, while I was overseas but we reconnected and she was just the friend I needed to talk to about everything going on.

She was a stay at home mom, and had married this fine white doctor she met while she was a nurse at Northwestern hospital.

"It was so good girl." I sat on the bed excited. "There were moments in the show where he came over and performed directly to me. And then afterward, we did like this beautiful rooftop dinner and just talked about our lives. Oh my God. He is so sweet."

"That's all well and good. But you know I'm still salty as hell tho." She said eating the ice-cream.

"Bitch I was supposed to be your maid of honor and you just dipped. You know that was my only chance to be in somebody else wedding."

I laughed. "Sorry P. You will get another opportunity."

"I betta!" She said loud. "And hearing about Drake is all well and good. But I miss you and O together man. Y'all wer goals."

"Porsha please." I said annoyed.

"What? Y'all were. Remember when we would go out, while O was still in school, and he would just facetime you out the blue. And you'd be like what do you want? And he would say, 'nothing, I just wanted to look at you so my day could go better. Love you.' The  he'd hang up." She shook her head in awe remembering.

"Or what about  when he'd get you flowers just because like every week. Like Avi..." She legit started to cry.

I forgot to tell y'all she's a romantic that cries at the drop of the hat.

"You guys were so great. And to just see it go. And I've known you since we were little. I know what you have went through. Remember after he burned you, you escaped to my apartment and mama took care of your burns. And we slept in the same bed and we cried all night. And I told you it would be okay. That I would protect you." She was really crying now.

"Porsha."

"I'm sorry Avielle. But I have seen your lowest. And I have seen you at your highest height of happiness and I know O did that for you. That was the happiest I ever seen you." I handed her tissue to wipe her eyes.

"What happened did he do you wrong?" She said confused.

I sighed. "No, but its complicated Porsha. My trauma as a kid, really just..." I tried to prevent myself from crying.

"Listen, you are a strong woman. We know that. But even strong women need help. And as your friend I think you need therapy."

"Porsha I'm not crazy." I said defensive.

"See that's the thing. We are taught that therapy is for crazies. And its not. I do therapy. Even though I had two parents, that loved me, there are still certain things I have to work through. After I had my second child I went through a deep depression and I had to unpack that. And my therapist is great. She went to med school with Kenny. She's a black woman, and just understands."

I sighed. "I don't know."

"I'm not forcing it on you. But I do think you should give her a try. Because otherwise that baggage you carry is going to continue to rob you of happiness. If you ever want to talk to her let me know."

The was a knock at the door. I went up to get it. Porsha followed.

"Mommy." Oak said with a huge smile on her face and reached up to me to pick her up.

"Hey my love." I picked her up.

"Here's her stuff." O handed me her bag.

"You don't know nobody?" Porsha asked.

"You had that hat on I didn't recognize you. I only know you by your apple sized fo'head."

"Whatever idiot."

O laughed and they hugged.

"Oaklyn say Hi to Auntie Porsha." I pointed to Porsha.

"Hi." Oak said shyly.

"Oh my God, it look like O spit her out."

Me and O looked at each awkwardly, then away.

"You gotta come to my house so you can play with your cousins okay?" Porsha told her.

Oak shook her head yes.

"Okay then beautiful. Aight Avi, let me get back to Evanston, for Kenny say something. We'll have another catch up date." She hugged me.

"Bye ugly." She told O.

He laughed and she left out.

"How did it go?" I asked O, sitting with Oak on the couch.

He was standing by the door which was closed.

"Oh we was good. Went to the Aquarium. This little kid fest they had at Grant Park. We had fun didn't we lady bug?" He came over and rubbed her head.

"Yes. A lot."

O smirked at her answer.

"That's so good."

"How was your weekend with cornball? I mean Drake?"

I shot him a look.

He smiled.

"It was good. The Atlanta concert was lit. He brought some of everybody out."

"That's cool."

"How have you and Walmart brand Bernice been?" I looked at him.

"Very funny. But Us? We been chilling. We good."

"That's good to hear. You know Porsha had brought up when you were down at Harvard and I was here, you would randomly facetime me. And say, I just...

"Just wanted to look at you so my day could go better." He finished my sentence. "Was that awkward for you?" He chuckled.

"At first. I wasn't used to someone just calling to call like that."

"Nah it was something my dad did with my mom growing up. Not facetime of course. But just call her just to hear her voice when he was away. I would know because I would be listening on our other phone. And mama was a freak you hear me."

We bursted into laughter.

"I like this." He said.

"Me too. I guess this is what good co-parenting looks like."

"Yeah. More of this. Less of the other stuff."

"I agree."

His phone started to ring.

"Couldn't even wait for daddy duty to end before K-Mart Bernice called." I joked.

He laughed. "I'll see y'all. Bye Oak." He hugged her.

Then he left.

————

Did anybody see Odell new facebook episode? Is it just me or is that weed in Senior hand when him and Odell do a hand shake? 😩

And did anybody else noticed that Senior and Odell talk a like and look similar with their eyes, when they get passionate?