chapter three

Song- Good Grief by Bastille

~two days earlier~

The darkness gave way to the gloomy morning light, and the rays of light shining through the curtains eventually woke Lucy from a deep sleep. She sat up in a bed that had become increasingly familiar, as she slept there most nights since she had left Star City.

She reached over to the nightstand and grabbed her phone, planning on staying in bed and browsing twitter, but that was slashed as she saw her notifications.

Two Missed Calls: Oli

Missed Call: Digg

Text: Roy: L call O pls

Lucy groaned and threw her phone across the small studio apartment, thankfully it landed on the couch so she wouldn't have to replace another one. She knew she couldn't afford to buy a fourth phone. The guy next to her rolled over and placed his hand on her shoulder.

"You okay babe?" He asked, sleepily.

"What have I told you about calling me that?" She asked, angrily, brushing his hand off of her.

Lucy was never a morning person, but between the unwanted attempted conversation earlier and Brad's unsolicited pet names, she was even grumpier than usual. She was thankful that Brad was letting her stay with him, but the studio apartment was getting cramped, and Brad was getting clingy.

It wasn't completely his fault though. Lucy had been alluding to the possibility of a more committed relationship as a way to secure her living arrangements but had no plans to actually follow through with that. But sleeping with someone who wasn't unattractive or bad in bed to maintain a place to sleep wasn't the worst thing she'd ever done.

"Sorry, I'm just grumpy, I didn't sleep well." She covered up the blatant annoyance of her morning with basic excuses. She never considered Brad to be anything but somewhat of a pawn in her overall escape plan, but his bed was comfy. She laid back down and covered herself with the dark grey duvet all the way up to her chin.

"It's okay Luce, I know you're not a morning person, and you did tell me to chill with the pet names." He said, retreating from her harsh aura.

Lucy was trying to fall back asleep when she heard the vibrations of her phone coming from the couch. She felt Brad leave the bed and in seconds the vibrations were getting closer as he brought her phone to her. She snatched the phone out of his hand and read the caller ID.

Roy

She clicked decline and shut her eyes again, only for the vibrations to return seconds later.

Roy

She groaned and begrudgingly answered.

"What?" She mumbled.

"Why haven't you been returning any of our calls L? Even if you aren't returning Oliver's or mine, you always answer Digg." He ranted into her ears. She could hear her friend starting to work himself up.

"Roy, calm down. I'm fine. I just need alone time. I told you all that." She assured.

"I am calm. Where even are you? You're not at your apartment or anywhere in Star City, we've all looked. We're all worried, especially Oliver." He sounded exasperated and sleep deprived. Lucy felt bad that she was probably the cause.

She'd been gone a week and didn't tell anyone she was leaving the city, because she didn't know she was going to. The press had been changing their minds on vigilantism since Oliver started running around with grease paint on his face, and they never made up their minds. They'd been especially vicious lately due to a slight uptick in Lucy's violence. She'd had a hard time controlling her anger when it came to the scum she was cleaning off the streets.