Chapter 1 "Hogwarts Express"

(EDITED)

Luna's POV

I find myself inside the Hogwarts express, excited to start my fourth year. I love school; the whole atmosphere there seemed to exhale freedom. Not only were the Hogwarts grounds enormous, they were also beautiful. The lake, Hogsmeade, Quidditch pitch, the greenhouses, I love it all. But my favorite place is the forest. I never delve too deep into it, but it has a mysterious air that draws me in. In my free time, I sometimes ask the lovely house elves from the kitchen for some raw meat. Of course, not to eat it myself but to feed the Thestrals that live there. When asked, most people might say that their favorite thing about school are their classmates. Ironically, that's my LEAST favorite part of school. I've never been particularly extroverted so even within my House I don't socialize much. Outside of Ravenclaw, I sometimes hear people whispering and giggling between themselves when they see me. They think I don't listen but I always catch the word "Loony" in there. The exception to this is Ginny Weasley. She's a girl from Gryffindor and although we don't talk very often (she's popular in her house) she's kind to me and defends me whenever someone else says something mean about me.

Anyways, back to the train. I was submerged in the Quibbler, trying to decipher the ancient runes, when three people enter the compartment. It was Ginny, a boy I've never seen before and Harry Potter. I know a bit about him. Not that I had ever talked to him or even seen him personally, but like the rest of the wizarding world, I am aware of his importance. My dad won't shut up about him and personally, I can see why. I saw his performance last year in the Triwizard tournament and knew that he survived Voldemort twice, some say even more. That's enough reason to like him. Lately, however, he has been popping up in the Daily Prophet more than usual and not in a good way. They say nasty things about him but my dad and I believe none of it. He m tries to counter what they say in every edition of the Quibbler so people don't get the wrong idea about him.

"Hi luna," Ginny says, dragging me away from my thoughts "Is it okay if we take these seats?"

I look up to the Gryffindor boy. He seems uncomfortable and very shy. Then I look at Harry. The first thing I notice, which surprises me, is how normal he looks. He's just a boy, like everyone else, however I also can't shake away the tingle I felt when his emerald eyes flashed across mine for a fraction of a second. I nod, burying my face in the magazine to hide it from the others.

"Thanks"

They start to put their things up on the baggage rack. I can't help but stare at my magazine blankly. My mind is flooding with a million thoughts, especially ones including Harry Potter and my father's reaction to seeing him. That made me smile to myself.

"Had a good summer, Luna?" Ginny asks, now sitting next to me.

"Yes, it was quite enjoyable, you know," I say, still pretending to read my magazine.

"You're Harry Potter," I said before I could stop myself, raising my face from under the magazine and staring at him.

"I know I am," he says sarcastically.

The other boy laughed. I turn to him now, slightly annoyed.

"And I don't know who you are."

"I'm nobody," he says hastily.

I suddenly felt bad. The boy really looked very shy.