Chapter 3

Jace P.O.V.

School was over for the day and I walked out from the building, being greeted by people everywhere. I high fived two guys that walked past me and then I flashed a flirty smile towards three girls that stood abit away which made them giggle and blush. Being the most popular guy in the whole school has it perks but I owe it to the fact that I'm a Herondale. The Herondale family has been the most wealthy and influenceful people in this town for decades. I unlocked my car and was about to get in as I spotted the new girl with the fiery hair. She ran out from the school gates and towards a car. I watched her get into the car and it slowly drove away. I got into mine and was about to drive away as the passenger seat door flew up and there stood Isabelle.

"Jace, can you give me a ride home? Alec is taking Magnus somewhere and said he couldn't stop home on the way to drop me off" She said as she got into the car.

"Yeah of course" I said.

"Thanks, you just saved my day" She said as she fastened her seatbelt.

"Of course I'll drive you" I said.

I started the car and drove away from the school's parking lot. I had known Izzy since we where little kids and she's like a sister to me so of course I'd drive her home. After I dropped her off at the Lightwood family's house I drove home to the Herondale manor. One of the only two manors that we have here. When I arrived home I went to my room and began to play some video games on my TV that I have on the wall across from my bed.

Later that evening, an hour after my family had dinner I decided to grab a snack. I walked down to the kitchen and grabbed a bag of chips and a bottle of coke. I walked towards the stairs again to go upstairs when I heard my parents in the livingroom. I stopped and eavesdropped from the other side of the wall.

"So it's actually true that the Fairchilds are back in their manor?" Dad said.

"Yes I'm afraid so. I went there earlier today to check it out and I was met by this woman named Jocelyn. I told her I wanted to welcome her to the town and she invited me inside for a cup of tea. We then sat down and talked and she showed me a photo of her, her fiancé and her daughter who just so happens to have the exact same orange hair as Amelia had back in the 19th centuary" Mom said.

"This is not good, you know what that old phrophecy says. Once another Fairchild girl with orange hair and another Herondale boy with blue and brown eyes meets, our reign will be over. Jace has to stay away from her and just as before we can't tell him about the prophecy" Dad said.

"I completely agree with you honey. I've been so worried that this day would come ever since he was born and looked at me with those blue eyes and one of them just so happend to have a bit of brown in it" Mom said.

I turned around and walked upstairs. As I threw myself on my bed I couldn't help but to think about what they'd said. They think I don't know anything but the truth is, I've known about the prophecy for years. When I was 14 i found this old book that where hidden under my bed in a secret compartment. It was a sunday and I was very bored so I started to investigate all the corners of my room until I found this keyhole under my bed. I spent over a month after that looking all over the manor for a key that matched the hole and one day it just appeared on my bedside table, almost as someone had placed it there. I remember being shocked because I knew it couldn't have been my parents who put it there because as soon as I found the keyhole I had asked them if we had any old keys somewhere that they didn't know where they went to but they said no. I spent days of trying to figure out where the key came from but up til this day I still have no idea of how it just appeared there one morning. Inside if the secret compartment I had found a book, or more like an old journal. I read it and it turned out that it had belonged to my anchestor William Herondale. He wrote about this girl named Amelia Fairchild and how their love was forbidden because the Herondale family and the Fairchild family had been enemies for centuaries. William and Amelia tried to fight for their love but sadly it ended with that both of them got murdered at the age of 21. It's really tragic and shortly after that the Fairchilds abandoned their manor och moved away. On the last page of his journal it said "Once another Fairchild girl with orange hair and another Herondale boy with blue and brown eyes meets the two families will put their swords down and the love of the new enamoured young couple will honor the pride of William and Amelia"

It's the prophecy my parents talked about and what's weird about it is that it's written in another handwriting and not William's. It's also signed with a date that I know is after William and Amelia's deaths because I did some research about it and by someone with the initials E.B, who I have no idea who it is.

If we go back to the mystery with the magically appearing key. As a kid I was convinced it was a ghost that put it there whilest I was sleeping and haunted our house but now I don't really believe in that because ghosts doesn't exist and that's the only strange thing that's I've ever exprienced here and I've lived here since the day I was born. When I first spotted Clary earlier today I immidiatly thought of Amelia. The similarities between them are incredible, from the fiery hair to the green eyes. Clary has to be the anchestor of Amelia that I'm supposed to fall in love with, there can't be another explanation. I'm determined to find out more about her and ask her about her family history. Maybe I could even drive to the Fairchild manor, because if she's the daughter who lives there that my mom talked about there's no doubt she's a Fairchild. They would never sell the manor to anyone who isn't a Fairchild because I've asked this old lady named Corinne about it a few years ago. She is the one who has had the keys to the Fairchild Manor and before her, her mother had them. She told me her mom where given the keys from the Fairchild's the day they moved away and was told to keep them in the family until a Fairchild in the future could come and retrive them. They reallt trusted Corinne's mother because she was a close friend and ally to the Fairchild's.

A/N
This chapter revealed a little bit of Jace's story and explained the title of the book!