One

One

~+*~*+~*~+*~*+~

“Sorry na, okay?” Raya said, rolling her eyes.

I rolled mine, too. “Sorry doesn’t make up for that night, for your information,” sabi ko. “I was cramming to finish my report tapos you called and said it was an emergency and you needed me, otherwise you’ll kill yourself. So I waited. You did not show up. Instead, you were… what? Enjoying carnal pleasure. Who’s the guy, anyway? Last I heard, you broke up with Boy Toy # 23.”

Raya’s jaw dropped. “My gosh, Reese! Watch your mouth naman! Can’t you even be more discreet!?”

“Am I not?” I asked, raising an eyebrow. “Do you want me to say bleep, bleep? Huh. Why use another word to substitute another?”

“Alam mo ‘yung salitang censored, ha, Reese?” she asked sarcastically. “That foul mouth of yours…”

“Whatever. So, ano? My gosh. I really thought you were about to kill yourself out of depression, but I guess you nearly killed yourself sa sobrang pagpapakasarap that night.”

“Hey, Bitch, I did not, okay? Hindi ako nagpakasarap that night. My gosh, you are mistaken!” she said defensively.

I raised an eyebrow. “As far as I know, my name has only one syllable. What did you call me, then? Re…ese,” I said, imitating her that awful night. I laughed. “You should have heard yourself!”

“Reese!” she complained. “Stop it! That’s not what happened!”

I rolled my eyes. “Whatever. So, ano? Are you done reviewing the completeness of my team’s reports na? Do it na kaya para malaman natin kung ano pa ang kulang. Ayokong saka niyo pa hihingiin sa mga staffs ko ‘yan kapag dumating na ‘yung kapalit ni Ariella. Makakaabala sa BAUs (Business As Usual) namin.”

She rolled her eyes. “It’s Ma’am Ariella, Reese.”

“Ariella, whatever. She wasn’t my boss for your information.”

She sighed and rolled her eyes again. “Yeah, I know. Pero haven’t you heard? A controller has been hired to be our division head. Siya ang magiging kapalit ni Ma’am Ariella.”

“Excuse me? Division head? Ariella was your department head, not division head.”

“Yeah, she was. At kung hindi siya umalis, siya ang magiging division head natin kasi nga ise-centralized na raw ang mga departments under our group.”

“What!?” I almost screamed. I stood up. “Who told you that?”

She blinked. “OMG, calm down nga! Wait, akala ko alam mo? Sinabi ni Sir Nathan sa meeting, ah?”

I gritted my teeth and slammed the papers I was holding on top of my desk. I hurriedly turned my back on Raya.

“Reese! Saan ka pupunta?” Raya asked in panic.

I did not answer her and marched my way over to Nathan Barcelona’s office. I knocked on his door, but before he could respond, I stormed in.

“What’s this centralizing the departments, Sir? At anong sinasabi mong division head? Controller?” I asked.

He raised his eyebrows. “Good morning to you, too, Reese,” he said in his ever so cool voice.

“Sir!” I almost snapped firmly.

He crossed his arms over his desk. “I believe I made that clear during the meeting. The departments will be centralized into one division and a controller has been hired to oversee the centralized accounting division,” he said.