#Turbulence

LIKE WITH MOST THINGS, DIFFERENT PEOPLE approach traveling differently. I was always the kind who gets to the airport three hours before an international flight, as recommended by the airline. One reason was because I'm usually excited. But mostly it was because I didn't like panicking about missing the flight due to unforeseen issues, like extra long check-in lines or traffic jams on the way to the airport.

So, it's easy to see how frustrating it was for me to be at the airport on time, only to be held back from checking in because someone from your tour group was late. This was exactly how the familiarization trip to Macau started. I was there on time. Well, a little bit early, actually. Gail emailed us beforehand to wait near the travel tax counter, so we could check-in together because she still had a few announcements to make.

I knew I was early, so I found a comfortable spot and pulled out a well-worn copy of Pride and Prejudice. I always revert to Austen when I'm in between books. P&P has always been my favorite, so it was the book I decided to pack for this trip. Gail arrived half an hour after I did, but seeing how I arrived 20 minutes before the prescribed three hours, it wasn't too late.

Meghan and Simon arrived soon after each other. It was a surprise really. I didn't think Megh, as she insisted we call her, would get to the airport early. She looked like someone who was always fashionably late. But like I said, it was still early, so it was no big deal. Soon, an hour passed. Then an hour and a half. Where was Mr. Arrogant Elevator Guy?

"Jesse was held up by work, but he's on his way," Gail informed us after calling him. "Let's just wait for him. We still have enough time before check-in anyway." Despite her relaxed manner, I could tell Gail was a bit worried. After all, she was our babysitter. Her job would be on the line if we end up not getting to Macau because we missed the flight.

A member of the ground crew brought out a sign reminding passengers that the check-in counters will close 45 minutes before the flight. While we still had an hour and a half left, Mr. Arrogant Elevator Guy was still in transit. Even Megh was starting to get worried.

So understandably, there was a collective sigh of relief when he came bounding through the airport's security check with just 20 minutes to spare. Gail immediately went on autopilot, brushing aside his apologies and assuring him it was okay before demanding for his passport. Once she had all our papers, she systematically managed to accomplish everything she needed to do, from paying for our travel tax, to ushering us through group check-in and baggage check in 15 minutes flat.

"Sorry, guys," Mr. Arrogant Elevator Guy said as soon as he got to where Megh, Simon and I were waiting.  "Today was supposed to be the start of my vacation leave, but something came up at the shoot, so I still had to go to work. I kept trying to leave but somehow, things kept cropping up. I'm really sorry you guys couldn't check-in because of me."

Am I hearing correctly? Was Mr. Arrogant Elevator Guy apologizing? "It's all right, bro," Simon replied. "We're still on time, no damage done." Meghan was quick to agree, so that just left me.

"It's okay. No big deal," I said. A tad cold, but civil enough. I still hadn't forgotten his cutting generalization about bloggers who accepted sponsorships and advertising during the briefing. That, plus the annoying elevator incident. Our conversation was cut short when Gail came back from checking us in.

"Simon and Meghan?" She called out before handing them their tickets and passports. Then she called out, "Five and Jesse?" before handing us ours. "The attendant couldn't get us seats together since the plane is almost full already, so I just asked her to pair you guys up with your travel buddies. I'll be seated separately near the back of the plane, but if there's anything you need while we're in flight, don't hesitate to look for me." She kidded, "Well, except if the fasten your seat belts sign is up. We don't want the captain throwing us out, do we?"