Chapter 4: I Will Protect You

You sat on one of the benches of the university. You had been feeling hot and sweaty ever since your bus dropped you off at the front. Your wound wasn't getting any better and you have to change the bandage every two to three hours. Kaneki contacted you that he will be there once his lesson is over.

Therefore, you decided to read Takatsuki Sen's book, "The Black Goat's Egg". The book was about a mother and a son. It gave out a dark feeling, but the writing was of a professional, beautifully written. As you were so into it, you didn't notice that Kaneki walked up to you.

"(First name)-chan. Sorry for the wait," he put down his bag and sat with you underneath the shade. He noticed the book that you were reading and realized that you were so into it. He found that part cute and just chuckled.

"Huh? Kaneki-san?" You put down your book on your lap. "When did you get here?"

"Just now. That book you're reading is by Takatsuki Sen. It's interesting, isn't it?"

You nodded. "It felt like it was pulling me in. I saw you reading this the other day so I thought I should give it a try."

He blushed and mumbled. "So what Touka-chan said was true..."

You closed the book and put it inside your bag. "Let's get on with the tour now," you flashed a smile at him.

-Time skip blehh-

"That was fun!" you exclaimed as you looked at the pamphlet. "There are so much classes here...Kaneki-san, what are you majoring in?"

You two decided to head home before the sun sets.

"Hm? Ah, it's Japanese Literature." He replied.

"You love books, huh." you laughed at him while he blushed.

"My father had lots of books in his library so maybe that's the reason I read a lot too."

You two stopped at the train station and was about to wave each goodbye but a large bang was heard from a distance. You see other people around stopping and murmuring in front of the station.

"What's going on?" you asked one of the people who were crowding against the entrance.

"Someone is wielding a gun!" They replied. "Aw man! Gotta call my best buddies to pick me up."

"What should I do?" you asked yourself. Well, it really didn't matter to you. You didn't like hanging back at that empty house anyways.

"(First name)-chan." You turned to Kaneki's voice. "If you would like...you could stay at my place..."

Your eyes lightened up. Stay over at Kaneki-san's place?

You silently nodded while your eyes were covered in sparkles. You were really excited as you led the way which confused Kaneki when you got to his doorstep. "Huh? How did you know where my house is?"

You beamed a smile at him and placed a finger on your lips. "It's a secret!"

He slightly blushed and unlocked the door. You headed inside the living room while Kaneki went inside the kitchen to brew some hot coffee. "Kaneki-san. You must really like coffee..."

You knew that that was false. He couldn't drink or eat anything else other than coffee. You had been researching about ghouls and you realized a whole bunch of them can only drink coffee.

"Ah, really?" he brought in two coffee cups filled with a nice aroma. "Maybe it's because I started to work in Anteiku." He laughed.

You held the cup in your hands and stared into the deep brown color. "Kaneki-san. Do you have anyone you like?"

"Eh?" He took a sip. "No one in particular...although I used to."

He didn't seem like he wanted to talk about this topic anymore. You thought about it. You overheard some of the employees talk about "her" before. Then...you knew who she was. It was Kamishiro Rize, the ghoul who gave Kaneki life.

When you started to think about ghouls, you left shoulder started to feel numb and it felt like a big bruise but more pain. You cringed your face away from Kaneki's view as you put the coffee down on the table.

"K-Kaneki-san..." you managed to say in one breath. "W-where's the bathroom? I think I should go shower now."

"Ah, It's right down the hall. I'll-" You dashed immediately towards the bathroom with you bag and quickly undressed your top, revealing your exposed shoulder. "...it's getting worse..."

You don't know how you got yourself into this mess. You weren't an expert in medical stuff and you thought this would heal like a normal wound will. "But for this..." you slammed the counter. "This is just too deep..." you covered your face in between your knees and quietly cried.

You were losing quite a lot of blood over the past hours. Your face was pale all day and you couldn't count how many times you had to put on lip balm to keep your lips from being dried.

The door of the bathroom opened. You lifted your head up a bit and found that Kaneki was there to bring you some clothes. "(First name)-chan, I'm here to-"

His eyes moved to your shoulder and as soon as you realized that, you covered it with your clothes. He rushed by your side. "What happened to you?!"

Panic and worry was written all over his face. "Did someone hurt you?! Who did it?!" He managed to tug off your shirt which you had been gripping not to let him see, revealing the bite marks of the ghoul.

"T-this is horrible! We must go to the hospital right away!" he grabbed your wrist to get you up but you resisted him. "I can't."

"What?" he said in disbelief. "You're injured! We should go!"

"I SAID NO!" You yelled at him. "p-please..." you begged. "I don't want to go..."

He lightened his grip. "If that's what you want..." He put the spare clothes on the sink. "Your clothes are here." He noticed the bloody bandages in the trash can and made a surprised face. He then looked at you with worry and left the room.

You sighed. Now he knows I'm injured. It's most likely he knows that it's from a ghoul...

-------

You were sleeping on Kaneki's bed as you saw a light coming from the living room. Kaneki was on the phone. His voice was loud enough to be heard from his bedroom. "She was bitten by a ghoul...what should I do?"

They were talking about you. "So Kaneki knew..." you mumbled.

"She may be targeted anytime! I can't just leave her alone, Touka-chan!"

Touka? He's talking to Touka this late at night? They couldn't have talked in the morning instead? Moreover, it's about me!

It soon went quiet. You guess Touka ended the call by force. She does have exams coming up...

Footsteps were coming down the hall so you quickly wrapped yourself in the blankets and pretended to sleep. The room's door opened and you felt a presence next to you. You felt him touching your face. "Don't worry, (First name)-chan. I will definitely protect you."

You pretended to turn over in your sleep. Your face was steamed in the color red as he left the room. You smiled like an idiot and calmed down. "To be protected...huh."

A/N: Thank you for all the votes and comments guys. It makes me soooo happy. xD

Remember to add this to your reading list, vote, an comment! -failed wink-