New Guy

Mazy

I left the library calmly when all I really wanted to do is go find a place by myself and cry like a four year old. I wanted to ball my eyes out right in front of him and beg him to leave her, but I won't do that to him. I don't know what he sees in her, but I'm not going to try and ruin their relationship and whatever happiness he gets out of it.

The bell rings, and I walk out of the bathroom, still trying not to cry. As I close the door behind me, I turn around, ramming right into somebody, and sending my binder through the air and papers flying everywhere. Some first day of senior year.

"Crap," I muttered under my breath.

"I am so sorry," I heard a deep, British accent say. I looked up to a taller boy with light brown hair, brown eyes, and a worried expression across his face.

"Whoa," we said simultaneously. Usually I don't notice the attractiveness of anyone but Luke. However, this guy was really good looking. I felt my heart race, like it always does when I come in contact with someone I don't know. He was staring at me oddly, and I could feel my breath quickening as well.

I felt myself blush as I tucked my hair behind my ear. He smiled slightly, still staring at me.

"Oh," he, snapping out of his daze, "I'm sorry. I didn't see you coming out of the bathroom."

I smiled and shook my head. I squatted down, picking up papers as quickly as I could. The boy was helping me, muttering his apologies along the way.

Finally, I straightened out and forced myself to speak. "It's really okay. I'm super accident prone, and sadly, I'm used to this." He smiled, glancing to the floor and back to me. "Really, I am fine. We should to get to class though."

"You're probably right," he replied. He looked down at his piece of paper. I assumed it was his schedule. "Can you tell me where Mr. Heely's room is?"

"Ooh," I groaned sympathetically, "Trig right off the bat. Yeesh, that sucks." He scrunched up his nose and nodded. I laughed quietly. "Well, at least we can suffer together." He smiled widely, making all of his features light up.

I'll admit, he was really hot. Like, gorgeous, but I didn't even know his name. Getting butterflies after literally running into someone was kind of ridiculous, and it certainly wasn't going to make my feelings for Luke just vanish. I mean, we're talking about the boy I've grown up with and known I'm in love with since I knew what love was. I wasn't going to forget that because I met a cute boy.

But he was really, really hot.

I smiled at him and said, "Just follow me." He nodded, the huge smile still plastered on his face.

"My name is Liam, by the way," he said as we walked up the stairs.

I stuck my hand out, and as we shook, I said, "Nice to meet you. I'm Mazy."

He raised his eyebrows and said, "I like that name. It's different and very pretty. Fitting for a very pretty girl." He winked. His cheekiness fueling the fire behind my cheeks.

He chuckled as we walked through the door. I spotted Luke. I smiled at him, but as my eyes fell on the seat next to him, they met Tiffany's smirking gaze. My smile vanished. I looked at the very back of the room and found Terri waving and pointing at the open seat next to her.

I sat down and looking up to see Liam still standing at the door. I waved to catch his attention. When he looked my direction, I nodded towards the seat to my right, which was also empty. He smiled and followed my instructions, putting his stuff down and taking his seat. As soon as he got settled, the bell rang.

Soon after, Mr. Heely walked in and starting explaining the various problems on the board. Ashton was asleep, Calum and Terri were flirting silently, Luke was writing, Tiffany was scowling at the girl in front of her for some reason, and Liam was looking at me. I, of course, was blushing, trying not to stare back.

The period went by reasonably fast. We didn't have to suffer too much. Then again, Mr. Heely has a way with putting people to sleep without that person knowing they're asleep. He calls it his torture method. It definitely works.

Luke met me at the door, glaring at the new boy behind me which was definitely strange. Tiffany, on the other hand, was too busy glaring at me to notice her boyfriend glaring at Liam. Shocker.

"Who's this?" Luke asked, his glare turning to a softer gaze as it met mine.

"Liam," I replied, "We me out in the hallway. He kind if ran over me on accident. Then he asked where Trig was, and I led the way. Liam, this is Luke." Liam stuck his hand out to shake Luke's. He glanced at his outstretched hand and took it reluctantly.

"Cool," he said, almost emotionless. "You into sports, Liam?"

Liam nodded. "Yeah, football. Well, actually, you guys call it soccer here, but I love it regardless of what it's called." He smiled whereas Luke knitted his eyebrows together as if he disapproved.

"Sweet," he replied, "Tryouts are on Friday. I'll see you there, right?"

"Definitely," Liam said excitedly.

Soon after, I walked Liam to his next class and met Sarah in front if Coach Caddie's Economics classroom.

"Hey, hey, girl," she smiled.

I smiled back and said, "Hello. How's your day so far?"

"Pretty good, actually," she replied, "So you and that new guy, huh?"

I rolled my eyes. "Please, Sarah. I just met him."

She scoffed. "So? Come on, deary. You and me both know you've got to get over you-know-who, or at least make him jealous with this boy. I mean, he's really cute."

"I know he is, and from what I can tell, he's super sweet too, but I am not going to use him like that. It's obvious Luke doesn't feel the same about me. I might as well just move on."

"I'm not so sure, Maze." I looked at her.

She took a deep breath and said, "I'm just saying that you didn't see the way he was looking at you earlier in front of the library. It's like he's nothing without you. Like seeing those red rims around your eyes absolutely broke his heart. It was the look of adoration. Call me crazy, but he cares about you a lot more than he leads on. I don't know why he's with Tiff. I don't know why he doesn't just grow a pear and ask you out, but there's no denying the way looks at you. I mean, I wish someone would look at me like that. And now you've got Liam Tillions drooling over you too. Damn, I've gotta hand it to you, chick. I'm completely jelly over this." She winked.

Could she be right? Could he really feel that way about me? Could I really be so blind that I don't see the way he looks at me?

I needed a nap. My head was starting to pound.