Chapter 2

Author's P.O.V

***

March 7th 2010

Dear Diary,

A couple of weeks ago at school, this guy named Gabe sat next to me at lunch. I never noticed him but he said that we were in the same English class. We started talking and he sounded like a really cool person. Just when I thought I actually made a friend that genuinely liked me and one that wouldn't believe a word of what that bitch Melissa had to say, he texts me and says that he 'doesn't wanna be seen with a fat chick like me.' I'm not stupid, that has Melissa written all over it. I don't even know why she doesn't like me. We were like sisters ever since kindergarten then all of a sudden one day in fifth grade she just stopped talking to me and she's been rude to me ever since. I just need a friend tbh. Anybody, really. I mean, I have my family and Calum to talk to, but I don't think its the smartest idea to tell them. I mean, I know that they're always gonna be there for me, but I don't wanna be another additional problem for them.

"So that's why Melissa stopped coming over," Luke told himself. "I guess that's why everyone stopped coming over,"

He stared outside the window, processing everything he just read.

"She covered it all up so well," he sighed. She was only 12 back then. She put up with everything at school and managed to fool everyone at home that everything was prefectly fine. "Can't believe I fell for it."

He was about to investigate some more when Liz came in.

"What're you doing in here?" she asked him, leaning agaisnt the door.

"Nothing, really. I just wanted to uh..good morning."

"Morning ? It's one in the afternoon." she told him, looking at her watch. Luke looked outside the window, still in shock and refusing to believe that he'd been sitting in Shae's room all morning.

"I didn't realise," he replied. "I just sorta miss her so I just thought I'd-"

"Luke." his mother sighed, "I know it's hard, and that it still feels like yesterday and not a year since that night, but there's a reason her room has been closed for a year. We know how sensitive you are when it comes to her." He nodded in agreement.

"Yeah," he mumbled. "You know its weird."

"What is?"

"How short her life was. I mean, I remember the day she was born, crystal clear. And it's just sad how she was the first one from our family to.." he stopped talking after seeing that his aging mother was holding back her tears. He looked at the papers in his hand and swallowed the lump in his throat.

"Anyways, umm," Liz sniffed, "Calum's here to see you."

Luke opened the front door to find Calum standing on their porch.

"Hey man," Luke greeted with a smile.

"Hey. You okay? You didn't show up at the studio today."

"Yeah I'm fine. I just forgot cause i got a little distracted."

"Listen dude, I uh.. I gotta tell you something." Calum told him as he shivered when he felt some snow down his back.

"Yeah okay but you know you can come inside, it's freezing out here."

"No."

"Okay.. What's up?"

"Umm.. wow this is really not easy.. uhh."

Calum looked at his best friend and froze."Dude I-I.."

"You...?"

"You see- about Shae, and-"

'Do it Calum. Tell him the truth'

'I can't'

'You have to. It's been a year.'

Calum made the voices in head shut up and said

" want you to know that you can talk to me about whatever's got you down."

Luke chuckled and said "Thanks man. I appreciate it. I really do."

"Yeah. Well I gotta go. I'll see you around."

"Alright, bye."

Calum mumbled a barely audible "Bye" and left.

"Weird." Luke told himself.

He's known Calum forever. He knows when something's not right. Luke watched his best friend walk in the snow as he pulled at his beanie. Something is going on. "I will find out." he promised.

****

Comment, vote, share please (: x