MARLENE REALIZES

Emily Jones, Seeker of Gryffindor, who was in 7th year now, came up to James and Sirius one evening. "I've been made Quidditch captain—did you know?"

"No! Congrats, Em," said James and Sirius, both of them pleased, because they liked Emily a lot.

"So we've got trials day after tomorrow, and I want the entire team together. You're free that day?"

"Yeah, sure, we'll come."

Before leaving, Emily said grimly, "Those fat Slytherins have booked the pitch right after us. If they disrupt our trials—"

"Don't worry, Emily," said Sirius assuringly.

"With us around, they wouldn't dare," said James.

Emily grinned and went off to inform Frank and Fabian.

Frank was sitting right beside Alice.

"Are they serious?" asked Remus. "They're always together."

"I think they are," said Marlene from behind them. "I'll go for the trials this year," she said, turning to James and Sirius. "Reckon I'll make it?"

"Chaser?" asked James

"Yeah."

"We've never seen you fly. We didn't even know you could fly," said Sirius.

"Right. You see if I don't outfly you day after tomorrow, Sirius Black."

"I'll wait," said Sirius, grinning.

-------------------

Marlene did fly very well that day. She made a good team with the other Chasers James and Frank. Emily happily included Marlene in the team.

Then the Gryffindors sat in the stands to watch the Slytherins trials.

"I outflew you, didn't I, Black?" asked Marlene smugly.

"No, you didn't," snorted Sirius. "You were just better than the other applicants."

"Of couse I flew better than—"

"Lay off, you two," said Remus.

"It'd be better to try out a new spell I learnt," said James, grinning evilly.

"What?" asked Sirius and Peter eagerly.

"It's Sonorus. It is supposed to magnify your voice."

"What are we waiting for, then?"

A Slytherin Chaser dropped the Quaffle.

"Sonorus," said James and Sirius, pointing their wands at themselves.

"HA HA HA HA HA!" yelled both of them. "LOOK AT THOSE STINKING SLITHERY SLYTHERINS!"

There was commotion in the stands, as everyone turned to look who it was. The players were obviously distracted and made stupid mistakes.

James and Sirius continued with their evil villainous laughter and stupid mocking comments.

Remus, Peter and Marlene were choking with laughter.The entire Gryffindor stands cheered the two Marauders and jeered the Slytherins.

Then suddenly Sirius stopped. The others saw that Regulus was trying as Seeker. Sirius wanted to continue their disruption, but found that he could not.

He contented himself by glaring fiercely at the field.

Regulus was a fine player. He easily played better than the other two boys trying as Seeker, both of whom were older than him.

Marlene suddenly noticed Sirius' expression, which he was obviously trying to keep disgusted and angry, but which couldn't hide the pride he felt for his brother. Marlene stared at the stormy gray eyes which were always flashing, either with laughter or with anger.

She did not know how long she stared at him, but when they got up to leave, Marlene knew that she was in love with Sirius Black.